Brewometer kickstarter thoughts - digital bluetooth hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boat_eggs

Reaction score
First, I have no affiliation with this project, just interested by it and wanted others with greater knowledge to chime in as to whether it may be a useful tool.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/baronbrew/brewometer-wireless-hydrometer-and-thermometer

Not knowing what it is, my lady sent me this kickstarter link (probably the last time she will do that). After reading it seems to fill a void I have not been able to tackle: conical gravity measurement. I have read of other digital hydrometers that seem to not account for volume changes and that just will not work for me (5 and 10 gallon batches and not always the most exact in final volumes). This device seems to scratch that itch. Since I detest iOS I messaged them and they plan on adding Android support and maybe Mac OS (chipset works with linux/pi and I don't use Windows unless I have to so I didnt bother)

What are your thoughts? Snake oil or a new and improved cog in the brewing process?

Sounds interesting hopefully it's less than the $250 brewbug is

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Since I detest iOS I messaged them and they plan on adding Android support and maybe Mac OS (chipset works with linux/pi and I don't use Windows unless I have to so I didnt bother)

Under the Risks and Challenges section they say that the Android app and a web app are planned. That should satisfy both of your requirements.

It looks interesting. $90 is a whole lot cheaper than the $250+ brewbug and it seems like this will be more supported and accessible than that is. A year is a long time to wait for delivery and hope the company doesn't run off with the money.

That looks very cool and the price seems good. I just wish it were coming a bit sooner, you know? I hope this is something that works out. I worry about it not being able to right itself after very active fermentation and such.

I have a feeling that 1469 would kick that thing's ass. I just don't see how any floating gadget could work well with a really sticky krausen.

I live in the same town as these guys and will try and convince them to give a personal demo or let me be a beta tester (a lad can dream right). I asked them about calibration and hope to hear what I want to hear since this is only issue that I can foresee.

This would be great for me... as I brew small batches... and don't pull wort to use with a normal hydrometer.

If this doesn't make it to the pledged amounts, are all bets off?

Anyone have an answer to the krausen issue?

Yes and its not going to make it. You only get charged if the kickstarter gets funded.

I love the idea, but i have no idea what the hell they were thinking with this kickstarter.

They have no actual functioning product yet and honestly i think their goal is way too high, assuming most people pay the $90 they need to sell 660+ of these things, which is not going to happen. People who would pay for this is a small niche, within an already small niche of home brewers.

I was surprised they set the goal that high. And yeah, the fact that their prototype is a wii controller doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence.

I regularly put a wii controller into my wort. Really adds a nice crispness to the finished beer. Seriously though, with so many close products on kickstarter or even past that stage, what were they thinking?

Someone let me know when a viable and ready product is here..ha!

:rockin:

I thought the use of the wii mote was really creative. I really like the concept of this project because it can be sanitized and tossed into the beer. I think its cooler than the beer bug. I hope they try again with a much lower amount, sometimes you will see them relaunch and set their goal around where the previous campaign ended. I would definitely re-up my support if they try again.

If they set the goal around where this campaign ended, it may not give them enough capital to bring a product to market.

I don't think the finished product will be utilizing a Wii remote. I think that a jump off point.

If they set the goal around where this campaign ended, it may not give them enough capital to bring a product to market.

I don't think the finished product will be utilizing a Wii remote. I think that a jump off point.

Agree, I have seen the Wii remotes used for a number of prototypes - basically it gives you a nicely package accelorometer and RF transmitter/reciever that is ready to go and tested. You can then develop the concept around it and when it is proven start developing the working version of the sensors to replace the wii-mote

I bought a green one. I really like it. I'm using it on a vienna lager. Great for seeing when to start a d rest. I do my lagers in a half barrel keg and my only complaint is that Bluetooth thru the stainless is s little hit and miss. It graphs to Google docs cloud with no issues though.

I bought a green one. I really like it. I'm using it on a vienna lager. Great for seeing when to start a d rest. I do my lagers in a half barrel keg and my only complaint is that Bluetooth thru the stainless is s little hit and miss. It graphs to Google docs cloud with no issues though.

Have you done comparisons to a standard hydrometer to see if they differ?

We haven't tested it in a conical fermenter yet (assuming its stainless) but it does work (tested) in a stainless boil kettle with lid and a 5 gallon corny keg. The range is reduced however, to 3-5 feet, vs. 25 feet or so with a glass carboy. If you're not happy with the results with your particular setup, you can return the Brewometer for a refund. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Did a "compulsive buy" and pulled the trigger yesterday. The site said three weeks before it ships, and I'm hoping it won't be too long to get to Canada. Well, they already charged my credit card, so hopefully it means they intend to deliver soon.

I'll give an update one I receive it!

I will be curious how the signal escapes an upright freezer fermentation chamber through a plastic fermenter.

Anyway, the idea of seeing when the SG stops decreasing is pretty exciting. I normally leave my beers in primary for 3-4 weeks, which i keep hearing is too long. I have a feeling this will sell well as long as it works as promised.

As soon as someone gets one, please let us know how it works. :) I ferment in plastic inside a chest freezer, so it would be nice to know that would work.... hate to spend the money to find it doesn't work, even with a money-back guarantee.

Back