Brewometer kickstarter thoughts - digital bluetooth hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the blue one a couple of weeks ago - got a shipping notification Saturday (9th) and it arrived Monday (11th), so I'm guessing that a batch arrived and they just shipped them out in order.

I ordered a Red on Saturday morning, receive a shipping notification on Saturday afternoon and received the unit in the mail today (5 days from order to receipt). I will do some testing and report back here.

For those who don't know, the App. does include a calibration function for both the SG and the temperature. I will be testing these over the next few days.

I ordered a Red on Saturday morning, receive a shipping notification on Saturday afternoon and received the unit in the mail today (5 days from order to receipt). I will do some testing and report back here.

For those who don't know, the App. does include a calibration function for both the SG and the temperature. I will be testing these over the next few days.

Please report back on the calib process! thx

Mine arrived yesterday. Packaged very well.

I used a container of RO water to do the first test. Brewmometer said 1.000. My digital refractometer and my hydrometer read the same thing.

Brewmometer read 64.6 degrees (I did swirl the water) and my digital thermometer (Thermowerks) read 63.8 degrees.

I set the calibration up for both SG and temp. All you do is enter the Brewmometer reading and then the actual reading. Two steps and it's done.

I took a close look at the seal (ring) on both ends. I don't think cleaning it will be a problem and I don't think any nasties could survive there once dunked on Starsan.

I left the Brewmometer in the container and then took my cell phone and ran a few errands. Upon returning, the cell picked up the Brewmometer just fine and displayed the readings (Temp. had risen slightly as it was during the heat of the day in a unheated garage).

Nothing bad to report here. I will be brewing a lager next week and am looking forward to knowing exactly when to do the Diacetyl Rest. Something I have always just guessed at in the past.

So far I'm a happy buyer.

Mine arrived today. I had downloaded the app to my iPhone yesterday and it connected to my phone as soon as I entered the house. Seems to be very well made, and it looks pretty easy to clean/sanitize. I didn't have a chance to calibrate it yet, but I will get it ready for the brew day on Saturday. Provided it works as expected I could definitely see myself ordering another one for my second fermentation chamber.

Ordered geen one yesterday. Havent confessed to SWMBO yet :)

After it arrives, I would like to investigate, can I use it as input for BrewPi?

Ordered a green one this morning, can't wait for the next brew to try it out!

I really hope they use this influx of cash to get that app more features it needs, like beer profiles, reports with graphing and beer stats based off the recipe for th profile. Using that google sheets hack work-around will only be ok for so long, they need that baked in. I am anxiously waiting for mine to arrive, and will probably start my next brew without it, sanitize and throw it in mid ferment.

Just got an e-mail that mine has finally shipped! I'm really looking forward to seeing how well it works. Assuming it works well, I may order a second for my other conical.

I will be testing mine out this weekend in a no-boil fermenter-soured Berliner Weisse. I'll be using a 30L Spiedel inside a chest freezer as my fermentation chamber. I won't be leaving a dedicated device tethered to it permanently to upload the data to Google Drive, but will see how far away I can get with my phone and still get a reading. The continuous logging is cool, but not sure if it's something I'll make use of or not.

I'll definitely report back on my findings. Now if the darned thing would just also measure pH I wouldn't even need to take a sample before pitching my sacc.

We need some folks to do testing inside SS conicals, freezers, etc. I will be doing a brew this afternoon and will report along the way. I use a Spiedel inside an upright Kenmore freezer.

I have a temp controlled stainless steel conical and I am able to get a signal from a couple of feet. The signal made it through stainless steel and foam insulation

Ok brew today is in the box. Lemon Ginger Wheat and let me just say the sample is delish. OG was supposed to be 1.050. My efficiency was a bit higher than expected so I added some water and slowed my [boil] roll... Which worked too well and got me to 1.048.

Here is the sample, reading 1046 plus a 2 point bump for a 73 degree sample, which is 1048.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1460770382.014797.jpg

And what does the Brewometer say?
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1460770463.460008.jpg

Oh snap! On the dotski!

I can read the signal from anywhere in my garage (so about 20 ft away). Again it is in a Spiedel inside an upright freezer. Boom!! I'm digging so far!

Will post updates as the feast goes down.

Ok brew today is in the box. Lemon Ginger Wheat and let me just say the sample is delish. OG was supposed to be 1.050. My efficiency was a bit higher than expected so I added some water and slowed my [boil] roll... Which worked too well and got me to 1.048.

Here is the sample, reading 1046 plus a 2 point bump for a 73 degree sample, which is 1048.
View attachment 350603

And what does the Brewometer say?
View attachment 350604

Oh snap! On the dotski!

I can read the signal from anywhere in my garage (so about 20 ft away). Again it is in a Spiedel inside an upright freezer. Boom!! I'm digging so far!

Will post updates as the feast goes down.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! lol... I'm ordering mine now.. lol

Just ordered a black to use with my SSBT Chronical. Ive got an extra iPhone 4S that i plan on leaving plugged in right next to the fermenter.

Morning update. Using 3068 in this beer which of course is a beast. It was only a month old and the 1600ml starter was ripped through in a matter of hours. So no surprise it already krausened and the airlock is en fuego this morning, only 12 hours after pitching.

Per my new favoritest brewing gadget ever, SG is down to 1039. What is REALLY interesting, to me at least, is the temperature. In my upright freezer, I have a wine bottle filled with water and a thermowell in the middle. My freezer temp control runs off of that. I did that because I don't like the tape-on method and did not want to put a thermowell in my Spiedel because of cleaning troubles. It currently reads 68 and is verified by another thermometer in the chest freezer. They are calibrated to my thermopen. However, according to the Brewometer, the beer is 70 degrees, a solid 2 degrees higher, proving that fermentation, especially aggressive fermentation, does indeed raise the temp of the fermenting beer. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1460817969.292172.jpg

Got mine out and calibrated it this morning while I was making my yeast starter to pitch on Monday. I used RO water, and it was off by .003 gravity points and .3F compared to a Milwaukee MA871 digital refractometer and my Thermapen. I entered the adjustments and then checked a couple of other times and it was spot on. I'll throw it in to my fermenter when I pitch my lacto later today and see how far away I can get readings on my phone.

just bought a pair. ill report back on testing through stainless conicals if no one else has by the time they get here

Got mine out and calibrated it this morning while I was making my yeast starter to pitch on Monday. I used RO water, and it was off by .003 gravity points and .3F compared to a Milwaukee MA871 digital refractometer and my Thermapen. I entered the adjustments and then checked a couple of other times and it was spot on. I'll throw it in to my fermenter when I pitch my lacto later today and see how far away I can get readings on my phone.

Might wanna check with manufacturer to make sure sours are ok.

Did just notice one pretty annoying thing. It looks like if you close the app you lose any calibrations you've made?

I completely closed the app earlier, and when I fired it up just now to see how it was reading, it said "uncal." next to the readings.

When I went into settings I noticed that everything had changed back to Red, which seems to be the default, and when I changed it to orange it no longer had the calibrations I entered earlier.

I'm very intrigued by this product. There always seems to be something else to spend my hard earned bucks on but this might be the next one.

Back