Brewometer kickstarter thoughts - digital bluetooth hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may have been addressed earlier in this thread, so sorry if this is a duplicate post.

I have a Tilt that doesn't signal the battery level like the new ones do. I was wondering if I could use a BLE scanning tool to read the battery level on the Tilt. On my android device, I downloaded an app called nRF Connect from Nordic. Once I opened this app and scanned for the Tilt, I was able to see the Battery Service value. The app showed my Tilt was at 60% battery and the Tilt's led on the bean started to flash green, indicating the nRF app was connected and reading the data.

So, now I'll just run this app before I drop the Tilt in a brew that I'm going to ferment. If the battery level is below 30%, I'll change out the battery.

Just be aware that the battery level is read from the "scratch" characteristics, which requires that the device connect to the Tilt, request the scratch value, read the scratch value, and completely shut down the connection to the Tilt. I suspect that my original code was disconnecting from the Tilt without closing the connection. This "open" connection is what I believe caused the excessive power consumption in the Tilt. It appears that the Android API covers both methods, while the Linux API does not.

Just food for thought. :tank:

Have any of you guys had problems with it only intermittently logging to the cloud? Started a beer yesterday and it was logging fine and then last night it just quit posting. Still connected to the Tilt, just not uploading, or even posting comments from the settings to the sheet.

Have any of you guys had problems with it only intermittently logging to the cloud? Started a beer yesterday and it was logging fine and then last night it just quit posting. Still connected to the Tilt, just not uploading, or even posting comments from the settings to the sheet.

Only time that has happened to me it has been wifi connectivity problems or sleep mode problems with the receiving device.

You need to make sure that the device you are using always stays powered on, doesn't go to sleep, and doesn't lock the screen (at least that's what I have to do on an iPad).

If that's not the case I'd check the wifi signal where you have the receiving device located.

Mine quit for most of the day yesterday until I discovered that the url had changed. Not sure where the change occurred, on the site or in my tablet. I'm the only one with access to the tablet.

You need to make sure that the device you are using always stays powered on, doesn't go to sleep, and doesn't lock the screen (at least that's what I have to do on an iPad).

That's what I thought it might be. I adjusted the settings this morning so that it wouldn't go to sleep.

But it still hasn't resumed posting to the cloud.

Mine quit for most of the day yesterday until I discovered that the url had changed. Not sure where the change occurred, on the site or in my tablet. I'm the only one with access to the tablet.

Do you mean that the url that you view it at changed (i.e. you had to begin going to a new page) or it needed to be changed in the settings of the app?

That's what I thought it might be. I adjusted the settings this morning so that it wouldn't go to sleep.

But it still hasn't resumed posting to the cloud.

Try checking and unchecking the little box to log to the cloud.

If that doesn't work, force close the app and re-open it?

recieved mine this week (in Belgium). Arrived with a dead battery. Bought 2 new batteries and poped a new one in yesterday. Today when I was testing my integration with Brewpi, the LED was already flashing red! (measured 2,74v with a voltmeter).

There might be something wrong with my unit :(

I emailed the guys from Tilt and I'm waiting a respons now..

On a positive note: It works perfectly well integrated in brewpi with a RP3 (build in bleutooth). RP3 is outside of the fridge and the tilt is floating in a SSbrewtech stainless steel CCT. That was what I was afraid of! But it picks up the signal anyway!

Now lets hope for a good outcome on the battery issue :-/ It seems I won't be using it for my next brew on tuesday

EDIT: Read some other comments in this thread about battery issues.. However, I think I already have the "new model" that flashes purple when the battery has been changed and red or green after getting it out of sleep mode.

I just got a few too and the first one I tried seems to have a dead battery. Gonna try the others and see if I have more luck with them.

recieved mine this week (in Belgium). Arrived with a dead battery. Bought 2 new batteries and poped a new one in yesterday. Today when I was testing my integration with Brewpi, the LED was already flashing red! (measured 2,74v with a voltmeter).

There might be something wrong with my unit :(

I emailed the guys from Tilt and I'm waiting a respons now..

On a positive note: It works perfectly well integrated in brewpi with a RP3 (build in bleutooth). RP3 is outside of the fridge and the tilt is floating in a SSbrewtech stainless steel CCT. That was what I was afraid of! But it picks up the signal anyway!

Now lets hope for a good outcome on the battery issue :-/ It seems I won't be using it for my next brew on tuesday

EDIT: Read some other comments in this thread about battery issues.. However, I think I already have the "new model" that flashes purple when the battery has been changed and red or green after getting it out of sleep mode.

I was having problems with logging my current batch and didn't realize they released a whole new app. At first I thought it was due to setting it up on a new iPad or upgrading to iOS 10, but am just downloading the Tilt Hydrometer app and am hoping that fixes the disconnection problems.

I replaced the battery on my unit, screwed the caps on as tight as I could, and went to sanitize it for my latest batch. Left it in a bucket of Star San solution overnight, and the next day found it on the bottom of the Star San bucket. It had taken on enough solution via a leak, that it sank. Has anyone else had an issue like this? Any suggestions on making sure the seals are leak proof after a battery change? I rinsed the insides in clean water, and dried it thoroughly. Haven't checked yet to see if it still works.

Brew on :mug:

I replaced the battery on my unit, screwed the caps on as tight as I could, and went to sanitize it for my latest batch. Left it in a bucket of Star San solution overnight, and the next day found it on the bottom of the Star San bucket. It had taken on enough solution via a leak, that it sank. Has anyone else had an issue like this? Any suggestions on making sure the seals are leak proof after a battery change? I rinsed the insides in clean water, and dried it thoroughly. Haven't checked yet to see if it still works.

I had what appears to be a similar-ish issue, but not as bad as yours. I changed the battery, sterilized, then put in my Oktoberfest. When I took it out, I noticed a fog on the inside, so it obviously took on some liquid.

Did you guys have any of what appeared to be rust from the weights in the Tilt?

Yeah, my weights definitely picked up some rust by getting wet. I don't think the weight change is enough to significantly affect the calibration tho.

I let the guts air dry for a few days, and then put in the oven at 125 - 130˚F for about an hour to drive out any water trapped in nooks and crannies. Just put a battery in to test functionality. Seems to work ok. Now I need to reassemble, and check the calibration. I think I'll put a little keg lube on the threads and "O" rings, unless someone knows that's a bad thing to do.

I have a python script running every 60 seconds to get values from the tilt and it seems the battery is dead after ~24 hours of use - Fresh battery.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong (checking too frequently?) These are broadcast messages, aren't they? So doesn't matter how often my script runs?

Awesome device, but I'm hoping I'm doing something wrong that explains this issue I'm having...

I let the guts air dry for a few days, and then put in the oven at 125 - 130˚F for about an hour to drive out any water trapped in nooks and crannies. Just put a battery in to test functionality. Seems to work ok. Now I need to reassemble, and check the calibration. I think I'll put a little keg lube on the threads and "O" rings, unless someone knows that's a bad thing to do.

Probably shouldn't have done that. Drying electronic devices is always best in rice or similar desiccants. Heat will cause evaporation to creep into crevices where it shouldn't creep and could cause more damage. You might get away with it, just remember it next time. Works great on phones and pretty much any device that got wet.

I have a python script running every 60 seconds to get values from the tilt and it seems the battery is dead after ~24 hours of use - Fresh battery.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong (checking too frequently?) These are broadcast messages, aren't they? So doesn't matter how often my script runs?

Awesome device, but I'm hoping I'm doing something wrong that explains this issue I'm having...

Are you reading the advertisements broadcasts, or are you using GATT to access the device?

Probably shouldn't have done that. Drying electronic devices is always best in rice or similar desiccants. Heat will cause evaporation to creep into crevices where it shouldn't creep and could cause more damage. You might get away with it, just remember it next time. Works great on phones and pretty much any device that got wet.

I beg to differ. I used to work in the electronics industry. Circuit boards are often washed with water (with added cleaning agents), and dried with hot air. There are some components that are water sensitive, but not common surface mount components like found on the tilt board.

I beg to differ. I used to work in the electronics industry. Circuit boards are often washed with water (with added cleaning agents), and dried with hot air. There are some components that are water sensitive, but not common surface mount components like found on the tilt board.

I agree. Water doesn't get driven into components with hot air, it's given an avenue to evaporate.

Are you reading the advertisements broadcasts, or are you using GATT to access the device?

I'm using the iBeacon python code posted earlier in the thread. Here's my code, that uploads the data to data.sparkfun.com.
http://pastebin.com/MUyAg040

And the library is here:
https://github.com/switchdoclabs/iBeacon-Scanner-

Increasing the count in parse_events to 30 seems to work for me. Apparently there's a lot of iBeacon noise where I am, and it was making the tilt not appear in the list except sporadically. Waiting longer for the tilt to broadcast made it pop up. But I'm not sure if this is broadcast or what?

Sorry, rice is probably the worst thing you can put your wet electronics or cellphone in.

Whenever I have an electronics piece that gets submerged I follow these steps:

1. Remove the battery and/or power
  2. Rinse with distilled vinegar diluted 50:50 with distilled water
  3. Rinse with distilled water
  4. Dry in a warm oven
This process roughly follows that which the circuit boards follow when they are manufactured in an automated fashion. They go through what looks like a dishwasher where flux is removed and a final distilled water rinse is done right before entering a tunnel of forced warm air.

The vinegar helps remove any minerals that may deposit from hard water which would cause shorts later on. Distilled water keeps them off while rinsing the vinegar.

I've done a complete iPhone toilet submersion in this manner, plus several other brands over the years. I remediated a computer which was in a fire and subject to smoke and water damage in the same way.

Rice might work as a desiccant, but heat is better. Maybe if for some reason you can't split the case on something, packaging with desiccant is a better way to go. I'm not convinced though. It's not going to be as good as opening the thing up, getting it rinsed well and then drying properly.

Plain old clay kitty litter makes a good desiccant after it is baked at a low temp to dry it. I have another hobby where keeping things dry is a must. I have a half a plastic tub of kitty litter in which I store things along with humidity indicator strips. Not failed me yet and it's a lot cheaper than buying desiccant.

I'm using the iBeacon python code posted earlier in the thread. Here's my code, that uploads the data to data.sparkfun.com.
http://pastebin.com/MUyAg040

And the library is here:
https://github.com/switchdoclabs/iBeacon-Scanner-

Increasing the count in parse_events to 30 seems to work for me. Apparently there's a lot of iBeacon noise where I am, and it was making the tilt not appear in the list except sporadically. Waiting longer for the tilt to broadcast made it pop up. But I'm not sure if this is broadcast or what?

OK, as I've mentioned before, my PythonFu is not strong ;) . It appears that the code you're using does indeed do an inquiry, which requires more power that simply intercepting the advertisement broadcasts.

If you want to see how I do it, take a look at my github

Installed a brand new battery and it appears to have died after a mere five weeks. Using it with the stock app and cloud sheet. Can't connect to it with either my iPhone or the android I use to have it upload to the cloud. It's been awol since about 6am yesterday.

Just transferred my beer from the fermentor into the keg and found wort in the Tilt. I was the second beer that I had used it for. I had the thing floating in a star san solution prior to putting it in the fermentor and didn't notice any leak. Dang! I guess I'll look at a few of the recent posts to see I can salvage it.

OK, as I've mentioned before, my PythonFu is not strong ;) . It appears that the code you're using does indeed do an inquiry, which requires more power that simply intercepting the advertisement broadcasts.

If you want to see how I do it, take a look at my github

Hi Jim - after looking at the pastebin link, I think hrafnkell is using the same code base as your github code is he not? Are you both not looking at the Ibeacon stuff?

Thanks for your code Jim anyway - very useful.

Hi Jim - after looking at the pastebin link, I think hrafnkell is using the same code base as your github code is he not? Are you both not looking at the Ibeacon stuff?

Thanks for your code Jim anyway - very useful.

Yeah it's the same code basically. I figured out the problem, I wasn't waiting long enough for the broadcasts. The code works so it waits for 10 broadcasts and then returns them in an array. My enviroment has many BLE broadcasts so I had to wait longer to hear from the tilt. I've actually changed the code now so that it just waits for broadcasts until it hears from the tilt and then returns, rather than waiting for x broadcasts, which may or may not work, depending on enviroment.

Just transferred my beer from the fermentor into the keg and found wort in the Tilt. I was the second beer that I had used it for. I had the thing floating in a star san solution prior to putting it in the fermentor and didn't notice any leak. Dang! I guess I'll look at a few of the recent posts to see I can salvage it.

Yeah the tilts are shipped really tight, so I imagine you just need to tighten it harder than you have. The gasket included isn't particularly soft/pliable so it needs more force than f.e. a silicone or a rubber o ring would need. I couldn't open my tilt without gloves, so now I also tighten using gloves, especially after reading a few reports of wort filled tilts.

Yeah it's the same code basically. I figured out the problem, I wasn't waiting long enough for the broadcasts. The code works so it waits for 10 broadcasts and then returns them in an array. My enviroment has many BLE broadcasts so I had to wait longer to hear from the tilt. I've actually changed the code now so that it just waits for broadcasts until it hears from the tilt and then returns, rather than waiting for x broadcasts, which may or may not work, depending on enviroment.

great that you've resolved your issue. Can you post your code? I'd like to have a go too. :mug:

Are these supposed to 'broadcast' the Ibeacon msg once per minute or every time the gravity or temp changes?

I'm on my 2nd brew with the tilt. Odd.... Dropped it into the corny I use as a fermenter. It read a gravity of 1.049 while my trusty hydrometer adjusted to 1.057. My new but cheap refractometer came in at about 1.060. Mash went well and recipe estimated a 1.061 IIRC. Hummmmmmm. Once wort cooled to mid 70s, I pitched. No change to tilt, but then, inexplicably, about 8 hours later, the tilt ramped up to 1.067 and since that time has been slowly dropping as it ferments out. WTH? I had calibrated unit in RO water and it was spot on. Battery fine. Working fine as I write this. Temp reporting has been spot on. I will check the FG with hydrometer when done and report. Anyone seen anything like this? Link to my Google sheet below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T6A-Fziirz3LK_d60xqmIB8N3XMM-qHdm_931tmg7rM/htmlview#

Not sure what happened, but notice the temperature kept decreasing while the reported SG went up. I think they use temperature in the calculations, so... yeah.

The temperature decrease is purely due to the ferm cabinet. I loaded the corny at about 95* (water still is kind of warm here in Houston) and sealed it up with the Tilt in it. I then put it in the ferm cabinet and let it cool down. Since the corny has been sanitized and has minimal head space, this is a nice safe way of doing it. A few hours later, after it has cooled down to the mid 70s, I pop the top just long enough to sprinkle the yeast and get out. It was not for another few hours until that gravity peak (many data points in a row) appeared. The temp keeps dropping to the set point of the ferm cab (actually, a few degrees above which is to be researched....) and stays that way until the gravity really starts to drop (high metabolic activity, creating heat). That's a good indicator to start slowly raising the ferm cab temp to let the yeasties keep partying and not go to sleep! Good for diacetyl rest.

Back