Brewing with wood chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevjtul

Reaction score
I recently acquired some wood chips from a single malt scotch barrel. Most beers that are flavored with wood use bourbon barrels. I'm just curious if anyone has experience with using scotch flavored wood in a beer. Thanks

I recently acquired some wood chips from a single malt scotch barrel. Most beers that are flavored with wood use bourbon barrels. I'm just curious if anyone has experience with using scotch flavored wood in a beer. Thanks

...and most Scotch barrels start out as wine barrels :)

I doubt it will be THAT much different than a bourbon barrel, other than the fact that a scotch barrel probably doesn't have a lot of wood flavor left in it.

Or used bourbon barrels, or brandy, some use rum.

I'd use them more for imparting the flavor of the scotch the aged than oak flavor.

Would you add the wood during the first fermentation or wait till the secondary to add it??

Most Scottish distilleries use american bourbon barrels. In the U.S. you can only use a barrel once for whiskey making. In Scotland there is no law, and they prefer the more subtle flavor and aromas that come from a used barrel. What color are the chips? Do u have a pic? And what distillery did it come from?

I'm wondering why you couldn't boil some chips with the wort. I'm wondering if that would bring out enough of the oak flavor and allow a person to bypass the oaking in secondary..

I would be concerned with leeching unpleasant tannins from boiling the wood with the wort. If you did maybe they would age out though?

Brew Dogs Aberdeen episode was a ghost ale brewed in a cask made from three different scotch whiskey casks.

Back