Brewing with kiwi fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
Anyone tried it? Thinking that the flavor might do really well with a nice light kolsch.

I'm thinking about a pound per gallon, peeled & mashed up and added at flame-out to pasteurize. Long primary, short secondary to clear, and then off to the bottles.

I know that secondary is usually the preferred addition point for fruit, but I also have read in several places that the flame-out point is actually easier with fresh fruit.

Thoughts?

I've wanted to make a kiwi mead, mostly for color. But I've read and heard the color wont come through. you amount sounds appropriate. If you do tey it. Please let us know the results!

Yup, I did a kwiw wheat. Needs a LOT Of kiwi. If you are looking for a slight hint 1lb gallon works. I would try that first then add more to a secondary if needed.

I did a kiwi wheat also ( thanks Sam Calagione). It's alright. Not great. I wouldn't do it again. Heres a few pics:

337.JPG

157.JPG

255.JPG

this pic from Sam's Extreme Brewing book:
2011-06-22_232916.jpg

You just cut em up and threw em in? I was looking for max flavor, I put mine in a good processor and water and simmered until the flavor was intense, and then added it....not much there :(

I did a kiwi mead I used 1lb/gallon, kiwi flavor was too light. 1lb might be good for a kolsch, but for anything else I'd go to almost 2lbs/gallon and no matter how much you use I doubt if would impart any noticeable green color.

It's a pretty subtle fruit.

I did a kiwi mead I used 1lb/gallon, kiwi flavor was too light. 1lb might be good for a kolsch, but for anything else I'd go to almost 2lbs/gallon and no matter how much you use I doubt if would impart any noticeable green color.

It's a pretty subtle fruit.

I went 3# per gallon is a Saison, still very subdued. Used this recipe with 8# of blueberry, nice purple/pink color, lite flavor at the front with a spice/clove finish

Back