Brewing with Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shmohel

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post here.

I was thinking of making a porter, flavored with some raspberries. I have never brewed with fruit, any suggestions? Looking through some recipes, it says to put it in during the seconday fermentation. What about if you add them during the boil?

And ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

If my memory serves me correctly you may add frozen or fresh rasberries toward the end of the boil. If frozen fruit is used dont worry about crushing the fruit for the freezing process has already accomplished this for you. If fresh fruit is used give'em a wack to break the skin but withhold the integrity of the fuit. Also, I read were you should not boil the fruit because you may set the protein known as pectin which I believe causes cloudiness in the final product. For a 5 gallon batch I would recommend 3-4 lbs. of frozen berries. Good luck sounds delicous and I'm sure the more experienced members could offer you a more clear idea.

I'm about to do my first fruit beer. Actually, the base beer is done (see sig). I plan to add the apricot to secondary (3lbs of puree). The reason I didn't add to the boil is for the reason awillis listed above....pectin release. Second, putting it through the primary will pretty much ferment it all away, doing away with most of the flavor, and making it finish out dry.

I think you'll retain more sweetness and flavor by doing it in secondary. Basically, think of the difference between sweet and dry wine. There's nothing wrong with having it finish dry, if that's what you want.

This is what I've gathered on the subject, but it's all just theory at this point. I'll know in a few weeks. :)

Thanks awillis and Sam75. I am going to begin brewing tomorrow, I think I will put it into the secondary as suggested, will keep you posted how it comes out.

I look forward to poking around the forums, thanks for the welcome.

Glad this topic found a new life. What about sanitizing the fruit? I read about soaking it in vodka/everclear, draining, then adding. Thoughts on sanitation? I'm about to brew a cheery wheat.

I made a peach honey wheat once and it turned out great.

I pasteurized both the honey and the peaches then added them both to the secondary. I heated the fruit to 180F in a large sauce pan .
I put the covered sauce pan in a 180F oven for 2.5 hours.
I then cooled it in an ice bath and dumped it in the secondary.

My .02

I think Sudster's advice is good, esp. if you're using fresh fruit.

I'm going to use a pre-packaged puree, which is supposed to come sanitized. You can't go wrong with pastuerizing the fresh stuff.

I dont mean to ask to many dumb questions so bare with me. What if the fruit are organic should they be pasterized as well? Sorry, TIA.

awillis--If you were to add it to the wort (after the boil), the high temp should sanitize the fruit. The alcohol was supposed to be used in lieu of putting it in the kettle. I would also tend to think that without pesticides, pasteurizing would be more important with organics.

Just read a really neat chapter in Al Korzonas' book, Homebrewing Volume 1. He suggests blanching, pasteurizing, or Campden tabs. He seems to favor blanching and adding to the secondary.

Sudster, what sort of recipe did you use as a base?

Thanks Sudster. I think I am going to use that method for my raspberries, as I was planning on using fresh fruit. About to head out to go pick up my supplies for my porter. I will be brewing tonight, and then switching to secondary next weekend. I will let you all know how it works out.

Shmohel said:
Thanks Sudster. I think I am going to use that method for my raspberries, as I was planning on using fresh fruit. About to head out to go pick up my supplies for my porter. I will be brewing tonight, and then switching to secondary next weekend. I will let you all know how it works out.

I'm glad I could be of some help. Let me know how it goes.. i'm really interested.

Sudster, did you have any problems with the airlock or did you use a blow hose once you added the fruit. I understand that fermentation may actually pick up again in the secondary given the sweetness of the fruit.

Thanks for the info!

Back