Brewing With Briess Blonde Roast Oat Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used it, once for a neipa and once for a barleywine. Did fine in the neipa, but my train book was too convoluted to say anything truly conclusive, I used it at 12%.

For the barleywine I used it at 22% and it seemed to get a bit astringent.

8%, you'll probably be good with it. But, I don't really have any plans to use it any more. I didn't perceive anything terribly unique from it and quick oats are cheaper at the grocery store.

In a simpler recipe than what I used (neither recipe was very good) you might get something interesting from it, but I didn't get it.

I've used it, once for a neipa and once for a barleywine. Did fine in the neipa, but my train book was too convoluted to say anything truly conclusive, I used it at 12%.

For the barleywine I used it at 22% and it seemed to get a bit astringent.

8%, you'll probably be good with it. But, I don't really have any plans to use it any more. I didn't perceive anything terribly unique from it and quick oats are cheaper at the grocery store.

In a simpler recipe than what I used (neither recipe was very good) you might get something interesting from it, but I didn't get it.

Thanks for the feedback! I might give it a whirl just to try it. Was going to do both a NEIPA and milkshake IPA here soon with the following grain bill for both beers:

Great Western 2 row - 61%
Golden Promise - 17%
Roast Oat - 10%
Flaked Wheat - 7%
Crystal 15 - 5%

Thanks for the feedback! I might give it a whirl just to try it. Was going to do both a NEIPA and milkshake IPA here soon with the following grain bill for both beers:

Great Western 2 row - 61%
Golden Promise - 17%
Roast Oat - 10%
Flaked Wheat - 7%
Crystal 15 - 5%

Sounds tasty! Good luck!

And... coming back here I notice where autocorrect changed my post from "grain bill" to "train book" and the forum won't let me edit anymore lol

I bought some a while ago and am planning on using it in an irish red in a couple weeks. Here's my current grain bill:

* 72.5% Maris Otter
* 18.8% RoastOat
* 4% Caraaroma
* 4% C60
* 0.7% de-bittered black malt (for color)

I'm going to bitter with fuggles and use Nottingham yeast

Briess has it being used as 20% in a sample irish red recipe of theirs. Hopefully using it at 18% isn't too much in mine.

I bought some a while ago and am planning on using it in an irish red in a couple weeks. Here's my current grain bill:

* 72.5% Maris Otter
* 18.8% RoastOat
* 4% Caraaroma
* 4% C60
* 0.7% de-bittered black malt (for color)

I'm going to bitter with fuggles and use Nottingham yeast

Briess has it being used as 20% in a sample irish red recipe of theirs. Hopefully using it at 18% isn't too much in mine.

Looks like a solid recipe. Let me know how it turns out! I just helped my buddy brew an Irish rye red last weekend using mild malt, caramber, c60, american rye and vienna

Back