Brewing tonight. What's your Belgian Dubbel water profile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcuPirate07

Beer is a food group
Reaction score
I've searched high and low for a decent Dubbel water profile, and I've found conflicting issues between what works and what doesn't. So I ask you guys/girls. Assuming I'm using 100% RO water, What Belgian water profile has worked for you when brewing a Dubbel? I'm using bru'n water for my calculations.

Enough calcium chloride to hit 5.4 mash ph depending on recipe, and get 50ppm of Ca, nothing else. (i dont use RO, I use portland city water, which is really really soft.)

Here was my last dubbel (it was a big experiment for a club presentation), which I thought turned out pretty well (balanced, semi dry). I used EZWater for water profile:
Mash 10gal RO+ 5g CaSO4, 10g CaCl2, 5g MgSO4, 3mL Lactic
Sparge 5gal RO+ 2.5g CaSO4, 5g CaCl2, 2.5g MgSO4, 1.5mL Lactic

Code:
Brewer: Andrew Maixner	
Batch Size: 10.00 gal	Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale (26D)
Boil Size: 12.05 gal	Style Guide: BJCP 2015
Color: 18.4 SRM	Equipment: Andrew's (15Gal/70L) - AG
Bitterness: 35.7 IBUs	Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.072 (17.4° P)	Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Est FG: 1.016 SG (4.0° P)	Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
ABV: 7.4%	Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients Amount 	Name 	Type 	#
10.00 gal 	mash water 	Water 	1
5.00 gal 	sparge water 	Water 	2
3.00 ml 	Lactic Acid (Mash 40 min) 	Misc 	3
1.50 ml 	Lactic Acid (Mash 1 min) 	Misc 	4
8.00 oz 	Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) 	Grain 	5
15 lbs 	Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 	Grain 	6
2 lbs 	Wheat - Red Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM) 	Grain 	7
8 lbs 	Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 	Grain 	8
2.00 oz 	Northern Brewer [7.8%] - First Wort 	Hops 	9
2.00 oz 	Saaz [3.5%] - Steep 15 min 	Hops 	10
2.00 oz 	Celeia [4.5%] - Steep 15 min 	Hops 	11
1 pkgs 	Abbaye Dry Ale Yeast (Fermentis / Safale #Abbaye) 	Yeast 	12
1 pkgs 	Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530 Westmalle) 	Yeast 	13
1 pkgs 	Abbaye (Lallemand/Danstar) (Lallemand #Belgian ale, mead) 	Yeast 	14
1 pkgs 	Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500 Chimay) 	Yeast 	15
1 pkgs 	SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL/Fermentis #T-58) 	Yeast 	16
1 pkgs 	Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522) 	Yeast 	17
1 pkgs 	Belgian Strong Ale (Wyeast Labs #1388 Duval) 	Yeast 	18
2 lbs 	Candi Sugar (Syrup), Dark (180.0 SRM) 	Grain 	19

Notes
Mash:       5g CaSO4, 10g CaCl2, 5g MgSO4,    3mL Lactic 
Sparge: 2.5g CaSO4, 5g CaCl2,   2.5g MgSO4, 1.5mL Lactic 

15lb rahr 2 row, 8lb rahr pale ale malt 
Mash temp stabilized at 150F (10gal@163F) 
First running ~1.072, second ~1.048. 
Collected probably 13gal, ~12 gal after boil. Divided into 8 fermenters, pitched at 80F with about 1/2 to 1/3 of a yeast unit. set all Belgians in chamber at 66. Chico in back room at 64ish ambiant. Raise chamber temperature as fermentation progresses, by 1 deg per day, up to 74. Bottled 2/28/16: Fermentis abbaye: 1.007 Us05: 1.007 3/4/26: Ardennes: 1.008 Lallemand abbaye: 1.009 Duval: 1.007. Note: airlock was too low! T58: 1.014 Chimay: 1.008 Westmalle: 1.008

If you review the water profiles in the Belgian cities like Chimay, Achouffe, Rochfort, and Orval contained within Bru'n Water, you will notice that their water is only lightly mineralized. Some of the other are more mineralized, but not highly. That information should provide you some guidance. I suggest a light hand on any mineralization for a Dubbel.

If you review the water profiles in the Belgian cities like Chimay, Achouffe, Rochfort, and Orval contained within Bru'n Water, you will notice that their water is only lightly mineralized. Some of the other are more mineralized, but not highly. That information should provide you some guidance. I suggest a light hand on any mineralization for a Dubbel.

Also, last night I was reading a post from you a couple years ago about a dubbel where you stated you wouldn't go over 50 ppm SO4. Does this still hold true for you?

Also, last night I was reading a post from you a couple years ago about a dubbel where you stated you wouldn't go over 50 ppm SO4. Does this still hold true for you?

I'm hoping you've reviewed those water profiles I mentioned. I believe they confirm that previous admission.

I know this is a little old....but using candi syrup....

i know it would affect the mash pH...because it's not in there...but can it affect the finish product pH when it's added towards end of boil?

Does the water have to be adjusted in order to anticipate the candi syrup added at the end?

or is there no real acidity in the candi syrup (D-180) and it doensnt need to be of concern? it's my first time using candi syrup and want to make sure i use it right, and not wreck my beer!

Thanks so much!

or is there no real acidity in the candi syrup (D-180) and it doensnt need to be of concern?

There's your answer. Don't worry about it. You could wait to add it till after the boil, or even directly into the fermenter later, if desired. No pH impact to speak of.

There's your answer. Don't worry about it. You could wait to add it till after the boil, or even directly into the fermenter later, if desired. No pH impact to speak of.

awesome - thanks for quick reply!!

cheers,

Back