Brewing Tomorrow - Hops Utilization Adjustment Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch from a recipe from "How To Brew". The recipe was crafted around a partial boil with top off water.

I would like to brew this with a full boil - 5 gallons - and top of the remaining as needed but I'm concerned I will be increasing the IBU's too much.

It calls for the final half of the extract at flame out.

There's a pic of the recipe below.

Do you have any recommendations for how I might need to modify the Hops to get it close to the original recipe?

Brewers Friend shows hop utilization at 10 points lower than what the recipe states (for 3 gallon boil - 33). If I adjust it to a 5 gallon boil it shows it at 46, which is just 3 higher than the recipe states. This is why I'm really confused.

P.S. I did pose this question on another thread but it was part of another discussion. I wanted to make this question specific in its own thread.

thumb_IMG_2261_1024.jpg

Ajust nothing, do your boil, add your top off, cool, pitch, wait, enjoy. In the mean time relax :) This is not rocket science, this is a hobby you can drink:ban:

Ajust nothing, do your boil, add your top off, cool, pitch, wait, enjoy. In the mean time relax :) This is not rocket science, this is a hobby you can drink:ban:

I brewed Saturday but appreciate the advice. Will come in handy in future.

I adjusted my first hop addition from .5 to .4 oz. just for peace of mind. [emoji482]

Here it is 24 hours after pitching starter.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1445249219.604521.jpg

Since this recipe calls for a partial boil with half of the extract added late, you could do a full boil with all the extract added at the beginning. This would give you about the same boil gravity as intended and not affect hop utilization.

Also, there is disagreement in the last few years as to whether boil gravity actually affects utilization.

Sorry to be late with my reply.

It's just one big crap shoot. There are lots of variables that would say you will never replicate the original recipe:

- hop age
- hop storage
- hop AAs
- type of boil
- boil kettle dimensions
- leaf vs pellet
- type of pellet
- IBU calculation
- and lots I can't think of right now.

........... And the latest theory, is that boil volume and boil gravity don't make a difference as we used to think.

You just got to learn what you like, and what your process and equipment gives you. It is an art more than science in that respect. 10%, 20%, difference is nothing.

Next time, I would use some brewing recipe software. Since you have the intended IBUs based on the hop additions, you can enter in the full boil and then adjust your hops to get the same IBU additions from each hop add.

Back