Brewing to pretend I am back in Asia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermes

Reaction score
I miss ABC stout of Singapore. Don't really like Guiness and it's too pricey in Canada anyway (mostly taxes). Lot's of microbrewery beers available but the fact is I don't like beer per se. The smell reminds me of piss. Makes me burp too. Hard liquor is too potent and I have religious sensibilities that discourage me from imbibing hard liquor anyway.

So, I experiment making stouts. First batch of Blackrock's Miner's Stout in a can (from New Zealand) a success. I added molasses and yarrow herb to make it more interesting. No complaints except next time I won't use demerara sugar in bottle to carbonate.

The plan is to experiment with legal psychoactive herbs and fermenting pre-hops European and Asian beverages. I'm not big on hops since it's relatively new (post 15th century) and I am not sure I like the taste anyway.

My favorite alcoholic beverages are the fresh made that day (within a few hours is best) palm toddy as sold at roadside stalls in India and Cambodia. Plus, of course ABC Stout from Singapore.

The only books I have read (in parts) are...

1. Sacred and healthy Healing Beers
2. Extreme Brewing

My approach is that fermented beverage making has become too technical in the modern west. I do it the old-fashioned way. Plant material + spring water + something very sweet + yeast, add time. If it doesn't work I'll throw it away and start again. I don't use a hydrometer. I don't even use a thermometor.

Back