Am I too picky? (Nitro Cold Brew question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppyhoppyhippo

Reaction score
So I've been brewing up Nitro Cold brew. And I feel like maybe I'm too picky but I know from beer you don't want any residue at the bottom because it will get picked up by the liquid post. So when I brew my cold brew after straining the grounds I run my cold brew through a coffee filter to remove the silt. Is that needed? AM I making too much work to be a perfectionist? I don't want to just try not doing it because I loathe when I clog the line and have to transfer out from the keg. So I'm curious what everyone else's experience is.

I don't think you are doing too much but I wonder if there might be other options. Two being either getting a finer steeping bag or using two steeping bags. I have tried filtering through a coffee filter and it takes forever with minimal benefit. Any silt or residue I get from the coffee isn't too bad if I let it sit for an hour or so before racking to a keg. Another option is getting a floating diptube (which i love for beer) and then you won't get really any coffee residue in your cup and it will settle to the bottom of the keg.

there's a reason they're called coffee filters when in fact in chemistry they're just called filter paper.
I think it's common practice, not too picky at all.

Secondary filtering is definitely a good option. I tend to just pour it into the keg and try not to pour the last bits with sediment, seems to work out fine, but i'm not that picky I guess.

Thinking about it further, you could also maybe let it sit for a day after brewing then use a siphon cane or just siphon from a couple inches from the bottom.

Some brewing systems have a filter on the way out of the container, so if you are really wanting it to be crystal clear you are on the right path.

Back