Brewing thermometer, scale ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeasu

Reaction score
Hey all,

Wifey's asking for Christmas ideas, and brewing stuff is always good. My last AG batch, 2nd time doing AG, figured I didn't have a good handle on how much volume I drained (no sparge) and questioning my kitchen thermometer I was using to monitor the mash temp. I'll make a measuring stick from a wooden dowel for next time (measured per gal or 1/2 gal calibrated for my brew pot), but could use a better thermometer for monitoring the mash. What do you all use, or might suggest?

Also, thinking time for a good scale - measuring small quantities of grains or hops, so certainly no more than a few pounds, and to be used more in fraction of oz amounts. Any suggestions here?

Thermapen is the way to go IMO. Mash temp is extremely important so spend a little more and get the best.

Taylor thermometers are typically within 0.5 degrees F accuracy at mash temps, and are pretty inexpensive. The right ones read fairly fast. This is not true for many other "kitchen grade" thermos; I had a department store one read 3 degrees off, which made for a bad mash. I don't adjust if the mash is off a degree or less, but in this case I was 1+3 or 4 degrees off, a bad mash.

Can't go wrong with the thermapen, which uses a thermocouple(industrial) and is well made.

Be sure to measure in multiple spots, which is why handhelds are the way to go. Then you'll know if you've stirred enough at mash in.

As for the scale, I recommend getting two. Anything that can handle 2lb + of grains isn't going to be accurate enough to measure out 1/2oz of hops etc. Here's what I have. Cheap but accurate (I used a set of calibrating weights with the gram scale and it was VERY close, within a gram)

image-3320516598.jpg

image-4061981714.jpg

Back