Brewing Thermometer on a tight budget?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This. Works great, great price, accurate, can't go wrong.

Great price and reviews but that shipping. Prime has spoiled me so bad.

I'll take this one I to consideration I'm really impressed by the reviews.

I still us floating thermometers in the mash & sparge water. I have an All-Temp laser thermometer I use for taking temps of my re-hydrates.

Too bad about the shipping but I'm with dani and Scriv, I've had that superfast pocket one from Thermoworks for several yrs and I love it.

RT610B 12/24 inch Thermometer from thermoworks... $25/$29 ...
buy it and be happy! I have the 12" and it drops right into the hole inmy lid and rides just off the bottom of my 10g pot...

My brew kettle is only 9 gallons, so I like to monitor the temp increase so I can be prepared to stop boilovers when boiling begins. Once the wort comes to a boil, I pull the thermometer.
Mine's only 5 gallons, but I wait for the foamy hot break right before the boil. But either way is fine.
To know when to stop steeping the grains.

This is good for those that add the bag of steeping grains, then bring it up to 165F or so, then pull them. For either steeping or mashing, I like to use the dunk ( read batch) sparge method with sparge water at 168F for 10 minutes. My habit as a partial masher.:tank::tank:

Mine's only 5 gallons, but I wait for the foamy hot break right before the boil. But either way is fine.

This is good for those that add the bag of steeping grains, then bring it up to 165F or so, then pull them. For either steeping or mashing, I like to use the dunk ( read batch) sparge method with sparge water at 168F for 10 minutes. My habit as a partial masher.:tank::tank:

I'm starting out as extract . :(

For extract I don't think I'd worry too much about a really accurate thermometer. Steeping grains in the 155-165 range should be fine. If/when you move to PM or all grain then you will need to accurately measure the temp of strike water, mash, etc.

For extract I don't think I'd worry too much about a really accurate thermometer. Steeping grains in the 155-165 range should be fine. If/when you move to PM or all grain then you will need to accurately measure the temp of strike water, mash, etc.

So what would be a half decent thermometer for that, of course when I move on to partial or all grain I'll will be able to invest more .

I'm starting out as extract . :(

If you're adding any steeping grains, the advice given would be a good habit to get into, since they also apply to mashing, even partial. Just monitor amount of water to grains & the steep/mash temp. Water amounts aren't as critical with steeping versus mashing. I just got into the habit of 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 quarts of water per pound of grain early on in mashing to maintain some kind of consistency with either one. Steeping is generally 30 minutes where mashing is generally one hour, but exceptions do occur.
If you're doing all extract (AE), then you don't have to worry about a big ho break. It'll be quite small & a couple minutes before the actual boil starts.

So what would be a half decent thermometer for that, of course when I move on to partial or all grain I'll will be able to invest more .

I know you're not asking me, but...

I'd say that if anyone in this thread is recommending the thermometer they use, and that thermometer is within your budget, then you probably can't go wrong.

I meant I wouldn't go out and buy something now just for extract, rather save the few bucks toward shipping on a good one like recommended in this thread. In the meantime for your extract batches do you have anything at all in your kitchen, even one of those cheap meat dial thermometers that will get you within 10 degrees just to hit steeping temp? Or if you got a brewing kit did it come with one of the floating ones?

If you're adding any steeping grains, the advice given would be a good habit to get into, since they also apply to mashing, even partial. Just monitor amount of water to grains & the steep/mash temp. Water amounts aren't as critical with steeping versus mashing. I just got into the habit of 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 quarts of water per pound of grain early on in mashing to maintain some kind of consistency with either one. Steeping is generally 30 minutes where mashing is generally one hour, but exceptions do occur.
If you're doing all extract (AE), then you don't have to worry about a big ho break. It'll be quite small & a couple minutes before the actual boil starts.

Alright, I gotcha

I know you're not asking me, but...

I'd say that if anyone in this thread is recommending the thermometer they use, and that thermometer is within your budget, then you probably can't go wrong.

Yea, I'll definitely get one suggested here.

I have several thermoworks, wait until they go on sale, you can get one for $20, and they are great quality.

I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about them. And they're mentioned on quite a few threads I looked at.

I meant I wouldn't go out and buy something now just for extract, rather save the few bucks toward shipping on a good one like recommended in this thread. In the meantime for your extract batches do you have anything at all in your kitchen, even one of those cheap meat dial thermometers that will get you within 10 degrees just to hit steeping temp? Or if you got a brewing kit did it come with one of the floating ones?

I'll look around in the kitchen we may have so,etching to hold me over.

Back