Brewing the Masses: What Two Beers Do You Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlaglerBC

Reaction score
BREWING FOR THE MASSES - can't edit my title....

I decided to brew a couple beers for a charity golf tournament in my area. I have been brewing for about 2 years and normally just do one off batches, variety is the spice of life right? Anyways i'm looking for some input about what I should, or you would, brew if you were in my position.

I'm looking for two beers. Going to do 10-15 gallons of each. It's going to be in the heat of South Florida, so i'm thinking something light, maybe a little hoppy, but needs to be refreshing and i'm not looking to drop a ton of $$$ (no IIPA :()

I have a fresh Kolsch and a frankenyeast of Vermont Ale/Thames Valley washed, but buying new yeast is no problem (001, 1056, 05).

Basically I want two beers that are the ultimate crowd pleasers. I'm thinking an American Wheat and a Hoppy Pale Ale, but i'm 100% open to suggestions. Anyone have experience with this? Or a suggestion of what would you brew in my position. Recipes are more then welcome.

Thanks in advance! :mug:

I think you've already got your answer!

Dont make the pale too hoppy and keep the wheat under 15 IBUs and I think you've got a crowd pleaser.

I'd go with centennial blonde or a new fave - pilsner/Amarillo SMASH with Nottingham for one keg and then an American pale ale with lots of C hops.

I'm thinking your thinking is correct. A wheat of some sort and an APA, a la SNPA. Another option would be a cream ale. They go well in the heat, and even BMC hardcores will usually drink them. Hell, even my dad, the cheap beer/MGD64/PBR/Coors Light/Old Milwaulkee's Best Light fanatic will drink my cream ale.

I have a friend who makes a really nice pre-prohibition style ale. IIRC, it's 70% Pale malt, 25% flaked maize and 5% Carapils. Bitter to ~25-30 IBU with Cluster, and 1 oz Northern Brewer at 10 mins BKO. I believe he used Wyeast 1968 (ESB), but any clean ale strain would probably be okay, although a little yeast fruitiness will bring out the maize a bit. If I were doing it, I might sub out a proportion of the pale malt for some 6-row, but you'd be fine without it.

It's a nice crowd pleasing beer. Crisp, medium-light body, light color, with just enough hops to let you know they're there. If it interests you, give it a shot.

Cheers!

Me personally, I'd go with an Ordinary Bitter and a Mild. But that's me.

If you're trying to please everyone, Cream Ale (or if you can lager, a Munich Helles or American Lager), and then I'd go with a Stout or Brown Ale personally, probably Dry Stout or Northern English Brown (in the Newcastle vein). Although an American Wheat would also be good, as would a Witbier.

Unless you know you're going to have a crowd of craft beer drinkers (which if this is a general public golf event, and not a beer focused event, I'd doubt a crowd of craft beer drinkers), I'd go lowest common denominator and things that'll please the average BMC drinker. Newcastle-esque, Blue Moon-esque, Guinness-eque, something that isn't going to frighten them. If you've got Kolsch yeast ready to, a Kolsch might be a winner too.

I have about 18 days until it needs to be in the glass. I decide that I am going to give thunderworm's American Wheat (with kolsch) yeast a shot.

Still open to #2. I gave BM's centennial blond a shot a few months ago, and although it was good, I was expecting more based on all the reviews. Not hating on it but I was just expecting to be "wow'ed" but the more I read about it the more I realize that the goal of the beer is to get BMC drinkers over to craft. But I digress, since I just made it I want to do something new.

Right now i'm looking at BM's SNAP clone, but also looking at some cream ales, blonds, and bitters. The amount of knowledge on this site is a blessing and a curse, I find so many recipes that I want to make!

Although I believe you have chosen the correct crowd pleasers, I'm craving the Steam (aka California Common), so that's my answer. Jamil has a good recipe -- better than Anchor clones IMO. Might be fun to turn people on to something a little different? Not too crazy. Has an interesting history too. Okay, now I really need to take a Steam.

I have about 18 days until it needs to be in the glass. I decide that I am going to give thunderworm's American Wheat (with kolsch) yeast a shot.

Still open to #2. I gave BM's centennial blond a shot a few months ago, and although it was good, I was expecting more based on all the reviews. Not hating on it but I was just expecting to be "wow'ed" but the more I read about it the more I realize that the goal of the beer is to get BMC drinkers over to craft. But I digress, since I just made it I want to do something new.

Right now i'm looking at BM's SNAP clone, but also looking at some cream ales, blonds, and bitters. The amount of knowledge on this site is a blessing and a curse, I find so many recipes that I want to make!

Given the lack of new posts (including yours), I must now assume you have chosen to brew a Steam for your second beer. Excellent choice! I will also assume you have been reading up on the fascinating history of steam beer -- lager fermented without refrigeration, Fritz Maytag, etc. I just wish I was there to hear you tell the story and sample the beer. Hope it is a great event, and I'm sure many of the guests will suddenly realize that BMC is no longer good enough for them. A few may even decide to start home brewing, because how else could they get that delicious Steam beer that you introduced to them. Makes both of us proud!

Given the lack of new posts (including yours), I must now assume you have chosen to brew a Steam for your second beer. Excellent choice! I will also assume you have been reading up on the fascinating history of steam beer -- lager fermented without refrigeration, Fritz Maytag, etc. I just wish I was there to hear you tell the story and sample the beer. Hope it is a great event, and I'm sure many of the guests will suddenly realize that BMC is no longer good enough for them. A few may even decide to start home brewing, because how else could they get that delicious Steam beer that you introduced to them. Makes both of us proud!

Haha. I went with a American Wheat and used a Kolsch and Imperial Red that I had already kegged because I couldn't find a fermentation freezer in time.

I do know the story of Fritz Maytag because he went to my brother highschool.

NEXT EVENT WILL BE A STEAM BEER, Singletrack California Common? I think it has a ring to it.

Back