Brewing right now, help with recipe please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSlash

Reaction score
So I'm doing the recipe at the bottom, plugged it into beersmith but the mash just isn't clear to me...

It says

Mash Profile
Name: Single Infusion, No Mash-Out Double Batch Sparge
Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb
Sparge Temperature: 188.0 F
Sparge Water: 4.1 gal

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 3.7 gallons of water
155*F mash for 60 minutes

So I assumed with a preheated cooler I add 15quarts of 169 degree water and dough in and hold at 155 for 60 minutes then vorlauf.

Then I am confused.. This looks like I need to get the grain temp up to 188 with 16 quarts of water and hold for 40 minutes???

Can I just add another 16 quarts of 180ish water and let it sit for 10 minutes and vorlauf again?

Did I totally misread this and need to put 190+ degree water in my cooler to get the grain to 188 for another whole 40 minutes?

Recipe as it was typed below.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP005
Yeast Starter: Yes - 750 mL
Batch Size (Gallons): 6.0
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.011
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 68*F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 @ 68*F
Tasting Notes: Very similar to Big Sky Brewery's Moose Drool

This beer won a bronze medal at the 2009 Great Arizona Homebrew Competition -- scored a 36.5
This beer won a gold certificate at the 2009 SW Regional of the AHA NHC (scored a 39). I talked with one of the judges and he fought for it in the mini-BOS for category 10 - it was the only 10C to make the mini-BOS

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP005 British Ale Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 6.0
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.011
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21

Ingredients
9.00 lb 2-row
1.00 lb Crystal 60L
0.50 lb Crystal 20L
0.50 lb Carapils
0.50 lb Flaked Oats
0.33 lb Chocolate Malt
0.13 lb Black Patent Malt

1 oz. East Kent Goldings (FWH)
1 oz. Liberty (30 min)
1 oz. Willamette (15 min)
1 oz. Liberty (0 min)

Mash Profile
Name: Single Infusion, No Mash-Out Double Batch Sparge
Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb
Sparge Temperature: 188.0 F
Sparge Water: 4.1 gal

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 3.7 gallons of water
155*F mash for 60 minutes

74% efficiency

the 188, should be the temp of your sparge water. the goal is to get the grain bed uo to (near) 170 degrees to make the sugars flow easily. that step is commonly referred to as mash out.

Where are you reading that you have to hold your first sparge for 40 minutes? Unless I'm missing something, the numbers here look pretty standard.

by the way, you are correct withe the 169 water temp and holdign your mash at 154.
Id suggest you do some research or read a book before you get too involved with the preocess. otherwise you might do something that doesnt work out and could lead to an unpleasant brewing experience.

I've never done batch sparge but you don't have to let it set for 40 min..put your 188° water in stir well and let it set for about five min or until the grain bed settles down and vorlouf again

Beersmith was giving me 40 minutes on the step temp infusion.

I've read palmer's about 5 times all the way through, a few others and even the yeast book. My confusion was just with plugging this guys recipe into beersmith. I've done all grain prior to this, but the recipe was much clearer to me. Rereading his recipe it does make more sense now, I'll ignore where he said no mash out.
So I should be all good.

Thanks on the help. I'll do the 188 infusion for 5-10 minutes to stop conversion and go from there. About to dough in!

Beersmith was giving me 40 minutes on the step temp infusion.

I've read palmer's about 5 times all the way through, a few others and even the yeast book. My confusion was just with plugging this guys recipe into beersmith. I've done all grain prior to this, but the recipe was much clearer to me. Rereading his recipe it does make more sense now, I'll ignore where he said no mash out.
So I should be all good.

Thanks on the help. I'll do the 188 infusion for 5-10 minutes to stop conversion and go from there. About to dough in!

everything come out ok?

Hey thanks for checking in :)

I had a bit of trouble this time keeping the mash warm enough, was super windy, but managed 7 gallons to the kettle at 1.048 and almost 6 gallons to the fermenter at 1.055 so about hit em on the nose. Toss in my 1 liter starter that was still active and it started bubbling fast 3 hours later.

Thanks for clearing up the mash, it makes sense now. I really need to just play with beersmith more instead of trying to learn when I'm brewing lol.

I believe it was 75% efficiency.

Latest posts

Back