brewing noob with questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nolimitnick

Reaction score
Hi to everyone and this is my first post. I just ordered my basic brew kit and i hate beer so im going to make cider woodchuck style. Ive read a lot of great stuff on here and im curious about the starting juice or cider. Ive been looking locally as to what juice and cider is available and i may have a source of some good amish apple cider but if not would some store bought apple juice from concentrate with only absorbic acid as the other ingredient work. I will be using Wyeast 4766. I would also like any first time advice to help make this go smoother. Thank you in advance for your help.

edit: Also i forgot but i would like to get the batch close to the 12% tolerance of the yeast. Any help on getting this there too would be helpful.

Also i forgot but i would like to get the batch close to the 12% tolerance of the yeast. Any help on getting this there too would be helpful.
Get a hydrometer.

Then you will need to get the Specific Gravity of the cider up to 1.090. A rough guess is you will need 19 ounces (1 pound 3 ounces, 0.538 kg) of sugar per gallon (3.785 liters) of juice, figuring the SG of the juice will be about 1.050.

The store bought concentrate will work. Occasionally Wally World has juice on sale for < than 4 bucks a gallon. I've used that with good success.

First time advice........2 points.......when brewing sanitation and cleanliness are right up there with godliness. And Patience is a virtue....Enjoy the process, don't rush it.

I use juice (1 gallon) then add a can of apple concentrate to boost the sugar up. 1 can in a gallon gets about 8% and a nice fuller apple taste. Then add corn sugar or brown sugar or honey to get your ABV into 12% territory. Use the hydrometer as stated above.

I will caution though the result will be more like a wine and may take over a year to 2 years to mellow out. Lower ABV drinks will be drinkable sooner. But apple wine is good stuff too if you can wait for it.

It's hardly gonna be woodchuck style if you jack it up to 12% ABV. You are better off getting a good flavor at a lower ABV.

Well i was going to back sweeten with concentrate but thanks to everyone for the advice and my first batch wont be 12% but it is a plan for the future but i need a carboy just to let sit for a long time.

it is a good practice. alternatively use starsan and water at standard rate.

These kill any nasty's that make it inside the airlock and in the rare case of a "suckback" you are protected.

Personally I guess the thought of a little vodka getting sucked into my cider is more appealing than some starsan.

Vodka is always a great option. Used it for my first two batches of beer. Then for some strange reason my bottle of vodka seemed to have disappeared... I told my SWMBO it was through evaporation. Don't think she's buying it.

If you do use vodka, use the bottom shelf rotgut, cheaper, works just as well and might put some breaks on 'evaporating' your hooch.

I got my kit yesterday and started my first batch. My recipe is:

6 gal of apple juice
6 lb of table sugar
3 tlbs of yeast nutrient
1 tlbs of pectic enzyme
1 pack of. Wyeast 4766 with the activator packet as directed on pack.

My og was 1.082
Temp of everything is 73 degrees

Any tips on when i should check on how well its brewing?

Latest posts

Back