Brewing my first batch with my fiance and my first partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurlyBrew

Reaction score
We are brewing a Blue Moon Clone at her request. This will be my first partial mash after doing 9 extract beers. Hopefully this won't be the last beer we do together. Any tips for first partial mash?

I did a partial mash for my first brew. Just put the (crushed) grains in the muslin bag, and steep for 30 mins at about 155*, or for ever how long the kit says to. Drain the bag, and pour some hot water over the bag to get some more of the goodness in the pot. Trash the grains.
Then it is the same as an extract only would be. Get to a boil and put in extract/ hops, etc. :)

Well my first tip is don't make a Blue Moon Clone...but I hear you, my wife is the reason I have an Apricot Blond fermenting now! ;)

I do all grain now but have done partial mash, one good tip, if your oven has the room, heat your oven to whatever the mash/steep temp is and put your pot in the oven for that time. This way you don't have to stand there and keep adding heat to the pot as the mash temp drops.

That's pretty much all I can thing of because except for the steeping of the grains and sparging them, everything else is the same.

See you did Surly Furious, how was it? That may be my next beer, I did their Bender before and it was great. Can't get their beers here in MA, so have to make them myself! Good luck!

See you did Surly Furious, how was it? That may be my next beer, I did their Bender before and it was great. Can't get their beers here in MA, so have to make them myself! Good luck!

The surly furious turned out well. I dry hopped in a bag so it had less hop material. It turned out a bit darker, and had less up front hop taste. But the after taste was similar. It was good none the less. Maybe try throwing the hops in with no bag. Maybe you will get a little more hop flavor then I did.

Back