Brewing marathon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoBrew

Reaction score
So I'm not sure of the actual number, but I think there are ~80 styles for beer in the BJCP guidelines. Has anyone tried to brew one of each style in a single year? A tour-de-force of brewing styles. I think it'd make for a fun (and busy) year.

That would be intense, and require a lot of cellar / fermentation space. But.... would freakin' awesome.

tumblr_lk0gr0KZ831qhu7nto1_400.jpg

Soooo who's got a grant for me? :D

thezepster said:
you forgot expensive

No doubt! This does bring up a good question. How many different styles have you brewed in your entire brewing life?

Not expensive if you're brewing all grain... :D Plus, to do 80 batches in a single year, you'll need to make them smaller... If you're a two adult household, you could do 2.5 gallon batches and be legal... Otherwise, most will need to be 1 gallon batches. Of course, that reduces some of the expense.

Personally, I don't have any desire to brew EVERY style listed. I wouldn't mind brewing everything in a category, or a few of them, though. I'm already working my way through styles 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 19, 25, 24, and 26... Not sure if I'll brew EVERYTHING in all of those styles, but I'm working on it. :rockin:

I'm an "ale snob" and have little to no interest in most all of the lager styles. However, if you forced me to only ever brew from 3 categories for life, I'd pick 10, 17, and 18 and die a happy fellow.

I'm not a snob (at least I don't think I am), but if I was limited to just three categories, I'd have to pick 9, 11, and 19. Of course, I'd want to make sure this didn't impact mead, which I've only made 4 batches of so far, and only plan to make them once a year. I'm really enjoying making styles from the British Isles...

Actually, if we could only brew from one region, that would be easier. :D Brew everything from that region in one year...

Golddiggie said:
I'm not a snob (at least I don't think I am), but if I was limited to just three categories, I'd have to pick 9, 11, and 19. Of course, I'd want to make sure this didn't impact mead, which I've only made 4 batches of so far, and only plan to make them once a year. I'm really enjoying making styles from the British Isles...

Actually, if we could only brew from one region, that would be easier. :D Brew everything from that region in one year...

Sign me up for Europe! (Specifically Belgium)

Doing 1 gallon batches of each style won't be astronomical as far as expenses go (aside from ~40 or so fermenting vessels). This would be a fun project. Subscribed to see if anyone accomplishes this!

I did get to 100 batches in 2 years mostly new styles, I did hit all the BJCP groups with in the first year. For example I did a porter, but not a baltic porter or a robust porter. I also did 25 single malt only beers. during that time.

Not a bad push, all of the groups is a pretty cool accomplishment. But we're looking for big time here :D

Oh, and you mean 100 small batches right? So you stay within the legal limits? *Flees before the authorities get here*

Latest posts

Back