Brewing Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I want to brew a Kolsch as my 2nd batch, but need some advice.

What ingredients would be best?

Also, what are the fermenting temps and lenghts in primary / Secondary / bottles?

I just ordered a thermostat for my outdoor fridge which should help keep this stable fermenting.

I want to brew a Kolsch as my 2nd batch, but need some advice.

What ingredients would be best?

Also, what are the fermenting temps and lenghts in primary / Secondary / bottles?

I just ordered a thermostat for my outdoor fridge which should help keep this stable fermenting.

I set my controller to hold 58F ambient, which results in a target fermentation temperature of 62F. I hold this for 3 weeks or until gravity is stable. Then I crash cool for 3 days @ 37F, and rack to keg. Hit with 30psi for 2 days, then 10psi for another 12 days. It's usually still a bit cloudy, but not bad. Clears at about 6 weeks from brew day for me.

Excuse my noobieness....What exactly does crash cooling do for a beer? I'm trying to learn as much as possible about this, instead of just doing it because I was told too you know...

Excuse my noobieness....What exactly does crash cooling do for a beer? I'm trying to learn as much as possible about this, instead of just doing it because I was told too you know...

i'm pretty sure it helps clear the beer. the kolsch yeast can be slow to clean up, i'm experiencing that right now.

for a recipe, do the bee cave kolsch in the recipe library, it seems to go over well and isn't too difficult.

Back