brewing kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burton391

Reaction score
after being on this form for a bit lurking in the back, i have decided that i wanna give brewing a shot. Is there any kits that people have that they really liked or didnt like. I know there is a lot of great companys on here that sell the starter kits, just wanted to hear some opinions.

after being on this form for a bit lurking in the back, i have decided that i wanna give brewing a shot. Is there any kits that people have that they really liked or didnt like. I know there is a lot of great companys on here that sell the starter kits, just wanted to hear some opinions.

I don't buy kits online, but Austin Home Brew supply (AHS) has an excellent reputation for selling quality products. Otherwise, you can shop at your local home brew supply (LHBS) and they will probably give you good advice. As far as choosing a kit, I would suggest for starters an extract kit that is a clone of something you already like. Usually the clone kits are well tested and are pretty close to the commercial version. I can't recommend a particular kit because everybody's tastes are different.

sorry i guess i should have been a little clearer. i was refurring to the diffrent starter kits for the brewing equipment, such as carboys,buckets,hydrometers, and so on. i did like the AHS kit. There are so many kits out there that come with diffrent tools and equipment. just was seeing if ones better then the other.

I would almost argue against those starter kits if you are in any way serious about brewing.

There are obviously good tools in there like a hydrometer... and that's really all I can think of. I picked up one of the better brewers kits and ended up replacing everything within the next few days. It doesn't come with a thermometer, it comes with one of those strips. It doesn't come with an auto siphon. While I understand that you can start a siphon by filling it with water, pulling the tube off one of the ends is more hassle than an upgrade to an auto siphon.

Really, I would urge you to source the parts yourself. It came with a bottling bucket that I use as storage for my brewing tools...

thanks Pash91.

thats what i was wanting to hear, so it will be a lot better to just put a kit together my self. was the kit u got just poorly made or did u just not use the equipment?

thanks Pash91.

thats what i was wanting to hear, so it will be a lot better to just put a kit together my self. was the kit u got just poorly made or did u just not use the equipment?

There's nothing wrong with the kit itself (although, the airlock was slightly broken, that little nippley thing at the bottom was not there which made it not bubble, but it was still functional). I would suggest thinking about what you really need and buying just that. That way, you can buy a little bit of equipment into the future. It's really the little things/upgrades that you will make into the 3rd batch to save you the time that you will end up replacing soonest.

Honestly, I recommend starting with better bottles. I don't want to start an argument over buckets/BB/glass as I use all of them and have 2 of each.

sorry i guess i should have been a little clearer. i was refurring to the diffrent starter kits for the brewing equipment, such as carboys,buckets,hydrometers, and so on. i did like the AHS kit. There are so many kits out there that come with diffrent tools and equipment. just was seeing if ones better then the other.

On that subject you will get a myriad of differing opinions. IMHO, most of the starter kits all use the same equipment, just packaged slightly differently. If I had to buy a kit today, I would probably start with this one from midwest : Brewing Starter Kit

I am a newbie and went to my local homebrew shop planning on buying a pre boxed starter kit, specifically this one for about $69.00. After talking with the guys I ended spending 115.00 on an "intermediate kit" Basically they take the above kit and add a few thing that are missing. A thermometer, A 5 gal carboy to use a secondary (If you want). they replaced the siphon with an auto siphon. Since I am so new I don't remember every upgrade but I feel I got my moneys worth for the extra ~$50.00.

Again I am on my first batch so I am no expert but, If you have a local store go there. This is an unusual hobby in that I haven't found any great equipment savings online. I don't know enough to say if that goes for ingredients. for the minimal difference in cost it's worth finding a store.

Also, I recommend starting with a non floating thermometer. I have a dial one that you stick in meat. I bought it for $6 at Walmart and it is honestly a much better thermometer than any that come in the kits

On that subject you will get a myriad of differing opinions. IMHO, most of the starter kits all use the same equipment, just packaged slightly differently. If I had to buy a kit today, I would probably start with this one from midwest : Brewing Starter Kit

That's actually a great kit :p. Guess I shouldn't just go with what my LHBS sells, especially when so far, I've only ordered things from Midwest if I don't buy them from my LHBS

I am a newbie and went to my local homebrew shop planning on buying a pre boxed starter kit, specifically this one for about $69.00. After talking with the guys I ended spending 115.00 on an "intermediate kit" Basically they take the above kit and add a few thing that are missing. A thermometer, A 5 gal carboy to use a secondary (If you want). they replaced the siphon with an auto siphon. Since I am so new I don't remember every upgrade but I feel I got my moneys worth for the extra ~$50.00.

Again I am on my first batch so I am no expert but, If you have a local store go there. This is an unusual hobby in that I haven't found any great equipment savings online. I don't know enough to say if that goes for ingredients. for the minimal difference in cost it's worth finding a store.

That's exactly the kit I bought. Too bad they didn't give me the option to upgrade

I bought a kit from Homebrew Adventures several years ago, and eventually replaced everything. I say go for it, it's not that expensive, and it could give you many batches of fine brew. However, if you start getting serious about your new addiction (I mean, hobby), then you'll realize that what you spent, could have gone towards better equipment.

wow thanks for all the good advice. I really like the midwest brewing kit. im sure i will eventually want to upgrade my set up but it would be a nice place to start.

I would almost argue against those starter kits if you are in any way serious about brewing.

I would partly disagree with that. There are things in my kit which I don't use but overall happy with everything I've bought and have no regrets. This is what I bought.
http://new.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-intermediate-kit-with-two-5-gallon-better-bottle-carboys.html
I got a primary bucket, two carboys, bottling bucket, auto siphon, tubing, bottling equipment. I don't think I could ever assemble a kit like this for cheaper than what I bought it for. It gives me the ability to brew a new batch every 7-14 days or so while having two others sitting in a secondary, ready to bottle.
That means I can have three beers going at any one time. Four if I want to let one "secondary" in my bottling bucket.
A cooking thermometer is definitely something you should invest in, digital is best. Other than that, there really isn't anything you need besides a brew kettle, bottles, and ingredients.

If you get serious, there will ALWAYS be something you want to buy. Yeah I want 20 gallon brew kettles with 5 conical fermenters, and a license to sell:rockin:
We all have to start somewhere. Don't start out too small, but don't go too big either!

I would almost argue against those starter kits if you are in any way serious about brewing./QUOTE]

I would partly disagree with that. There are things in my kit which I don't use but overall happy with everything I've bought and have no regrets. This is what I bought.
http://new.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-intermediate-kit-with-two-5-gallon-better-bottle-carboys.html
I got a primary bucket, two carboys, bottling bucket, auto siphon, tubing, bottling equipment. I don't think I could ever assemble a kit like this for cheaper than what I bought it for. It gives me the ability to brew a new batch every 7-14 days or so while having two others sitting in a secondary, ready to bottle.
That means I can have three beers going at any one time. Four if I want to let one "secondary" in my bottling bucket.
A cooking thermometer is definitely something you should invest in, digital is best. Other than that, there really isn't anything you need besides a brew kettle, bottles, and ingredients.

If you get serious, there will ALWAYS be something you want to buy. Yeah I want 20 gallon brew kettles with 5 conical fermenters, and a license to sell:rockin:
We all have to start somewhere. Don't start out too small, but don't go too big either!

That's pretty much what I was getting at. Well said

I should add that if you still need to buy a brew kettle then I would go as big as you can afford. I really think this is one of the most important pieces of equipment. And for the average person, they are usually one of the most expensive things you buy. My 22 quart pot was $55. I find it to be a perfect size for doing stove top boiling. It's light enough that I was able to move it to the sink for wort cooling. It's not big enough to come close to doing a full boil but there are tricks you can do to compensate for smaller boils.
But remember, a bigger pot (bigger boil) will need a bigger heat source (some say electric stoves won't cut it.) It will also need more cooling (its slow without a wort chiller), and you may not be able to move it once it's full... There are trade ons to going bigger, but also trade offs ;)

I should add that if you still need to buy a brew kettle then I would go as big as you can afford. I really think this is one of the most important pieces of equipment. And for the average person, they are usually one of the most expensive things you buy. My 22 quart pot was $55. I find it to be a perfect size for doing stove top boiling. It's light enough that I was able to move it to the sink for wort cooling. It's not big enough to come close to doing a full boil but there are tricks you can do to compensate for smaller boils.
But remember, a bigger pot (bigger boil) will need a bigger heat source (some say electric stoves won't cut it.) It will also need more cooling (its slow without a wort chiller), and you may not be able to move it once it's full... There are trade ons to going bigger, but also trade offs ;)

I just upgraded to a 30 qt with a propane burner for $55 off Amazon. I wish I bought that before I bought my dinky 16 qt. It works for partial extracts, but I really screwed up when I made a huge partial for a stout. Had to dump a lot of water

Back