Brewing is garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nblocke

Reaction score
I am thinking of moving to all grain brewing, if I do I will have to brew and store my equipment in the garage. I live in Iowa so we have plenty of dust, dirt, spiders .... in the garage. Is there anything special I would need to do for brewing or storage to keep everything good to go? I was thinking for storage I would get a good cover to keep dust from settling in the equipment. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I am thinking of moving to all grain brewing, if I do I will have to brew and store my equipment in the garage. I live in Iowa so we have plenty of dust, dirt, spiders .... in the garage. Is there anything special I would need to do for brewing or storage to keep everything good to go? I was thinking for storage I would get a good cover to keep dust from settling in the equipment. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I would use plastic bins with covers and still would rinse out any equipment, and of course sanitize anything post-boil.

I've been garage brewing for 20 years. No worries at all. Dust, dirt, spiders, small rodents all just add character to your beer. If your brewing practices are correct you can brew in a **** house and still make great beer!

The key is great sanitation after the boil. Your fermentors, hoses, bungs, anything that touches or could touch your beer after the boil must be clean and sanitized. I don't cover my stuff because I plan on cleaning and sanitizing the crap out of it anyway so why worry. My other equipment I just rinse off as I'm collecting my strike water.

Just make sure everything plastic is totally dry before sealing it up in anything or you'll get mold. (including getting water out of valves attached to plastic things.) I usually clean and towel dry everything then let it sit and air dry a little more for a day before packing it all away.

Back