Brewing in the sanitized south

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BukowskisGhost

Reaction score
Hey...just started brewing as of last night. I am a biology teacher at a local school here and studying yeast got me interested in this process (and a love of beer of course) I have a neighbor that is kind of mentoring me in the process. Just started a northface nutbrown (Brewer's Best kit) last night. Very excited about the whole process, can't wait to leave work and check on my baby. It was bubbling nicely when i left this morning. Cheers! :mug:

Excellent - good for you and welcome to the hobby (or your new obsession!).

down in the deep south, we have to pay attention to fermentation temperatures. Check your yeast strain's optimum temperature range at the manufacturer's website - and shoot for the low number - as fermenting raises internal temperatures 4-8F above ambient.

cheapest and easiest is a tub filled with water to set your fermenter in (or ice chest), and drop in a few frozen water bottles as needed. Or you can call your therapist, explain the obsession, and drop some coin for a refrigerator and a temperature control unit. Or anything in between.

Good luck with your brew!

...buy a chest freezer off craigslist and a temp controller, with a tub of damp rid... $150 and you're set.

Welcome!

btw I see you're in missisippi... might want to read a bit before you share details about your latest hobby

Back