Brewing in CT...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewcrhs

Reaction score
...almost. Got a picture of brewing equipment and a UPS tracking number for Christmas. "Santa" had some shipping issues but I should be brewing soon. Been reading these forums, How To Brew and Radical Brewing the past few days and getting excited.

Anyway, just saying Hello.

Welcome aboard. Don't be afraid to ask questions. This isn't like most forums. You won't get bashed for being a noob. You maybe get a lot of links for other threads to read, but it is to help not bash. There's a lot of good information here no matter what the question. It HAS been asked before and WILL be asked again.

where do you go to buy things locally the only shop i know of is the one in east hartford.

Ding ding ding! I love the East Hartford guys,,,, They seem to be having issues with keeping stock on the shelves lately...Avoid the a$$hole on Murphy Rd in Hartford though...He's a d1ck.

There is one in Hartford on Murphy Rd, but I am not a big fan although it is a bigger store. I have had alot of luck ordering online.

Ding ding ding! I love the East Hartford guys,,,, They seem to be having issues with keeping stock on the shelves lately...Avoid the a$$hole on Murphy Rd in Hartford though...He's a d1ck.

You could not be more right about that guy. I don't know what his deal is, but I only go there in a pinch. Zok is really good out in Willimantic, but that is kind of a hike.

welcome.:mug: there is a MALTOSE EXPRESS in Monroe, nice people there but prices are high and there is only one guy there that knows how to do AG.
they have alot of clone brew kits, most of them are parshial mash or extract.
after i finish my grain mill i going to try not to go there anymore, way to expensive.:ban:

Hi from Wethersfield.

There are more CT brewers on here than I thought...

I like the guys at the East Hartford store and I try to buy from them when I can, but I get most of my ingredients online. I'll never go back the Murphy Rd. store.

Thanks for the welcome. I am in Southington. Thanks for the heads up on the store in Hartford not being any good.

well thanks for the heads up i guess when i buy anything ill go to the store in e.hartford and stay away from the other one.

I was born in raised in CT, then I moved to NY 30 years later and started brewing.

welcome.:mug: there is a MALTOSE EXPRESS in Monroe, nice people there but prices are high and there is only one guy there that knows how to do AG.
after i finish my grain mill i going to try not to go there anymore, way to expensive.:ban:

My wife just bought me the book the owner wrote on clone brews for X-mas. Kinda dated but nicely organized.

Was in E Hartford shop today... 3 Brewers Best Kits, a few Coopers, no better bottles and a light Hops supply... Kind of disappointing... they used to be the go to place for me... Online may be cheaper but I like supporting them...

Ive only been in Beer and Wine Makers Warehouse once as he was the only guy around who had the fitting in hand to go from right thread to left thread on my regulator set up to add a second reg. He seemed nice to me and actually stayed open a little late as I was shooting from Shelton to there after work and ran into some traffic. I called him and he stayed open 20 more minutes just for me to buy that 1 $4.75 fitting. I bought a few glasses off him and some Whirlfloc also but he didnt know I was going to do that. Im much closer to Maltose but they are expensive and most dont know anything there. 1 guy knows beer and another knows Mead that are ever there when I go. Love the dogs though, the wife and kids have a blast playing with them while Im busy gathering upo a few things. I do most of my stuff online though.

Was talking with the guy yesterday. Sounds like there may be a shake up in ownership and that should smooth everything out a bit. Hopefully.

Welcome from Tolland Ct. I always purchase at Zok's in Willimantic and why should'nt I.
That is where I learned to brew,Zoks offers a homebrew course.
GO PAT'S

Glad to see i'm not the only one with maltose express issues. Nice people and good kits, but very pricey. I like to go in though to support the cause.

They are pricey for sure. My kids go in a terrorize the dogs though while I search for things that arent as jacked up. Those clone kits are just crazy priced, you might as well buy a few cases of the beer!

I am thinking about going to the East Hartford and Hartford stores just because i have never been. First batch is in the primary and looking nice, and I do not really neeeed any more equipment (thinking about setting another fermenter though....having only one batch fermenting at a time seems silly!) but I figure I should check out the local stores.

Was in E Hartford shop today... 3 Brewers Best Kits, a few Coopers, no better bottles and a light Hops supply... Kind of disappointing... they used to be the go to place for me... Online may be cheaper but I like supporting them...

i was in the store on saturday and yes the place was empty but the guy i talked to breifly said they were recouping from the holidays and they were getting stuff in tuesday(tommorow) just for the heads up.

I was in there this weekend too. Sounds like they almost have the ownership thing worked out.

Welcome from Canterbury! You guys should check out Rob's in Salem too! Still a hike from Hartford but Rt. 11 isn't too bad. :)

Ouch...just looked at a map to see where Brew & Wine Hobby is in East Hartford. Looks like it is right at mile 19 of the Hartford Marathon. I was not in a happy place there last fall.

Welcome aboard. I too am new to brewing and getting ready to make my first batch.

Alright, well I am pretty new here and don't know anybody yet, but I'm jsut gonna throw something out to get started. How about something like the weekend of the 13th or the 20th, at a centralish spot. Anybody have a good hosting spot?

I know a couple guys who might want to join ... one a newbie and the other guy an experienced brewer that I don't know too well.

I was born in raised in CT, then I moved to NY 30 years later and started brewing.

My wife just bought me the book the owner wrote on clone brews for X-mas. Kinda dated but nicely organized.

yes, i have the same book thats what iam curently using its a nice simple to fallow book. i bought my starter kit there i didint know at first that they had high prices but now i know better.
at first i was ordering a AG kits just by saying a page # i think that i payed $55 for it so next time i give a guy a list of what i needed( exactly same as kit) and it was $45 WTF? for now i dont even tell a guy what iam brewing i just give him a list of what i need and its a little bit cheaper.
there is a blond girl working there, i run in to her in a bar in Orange one time, we where talking for a while and had beer together:tank:, i should of get her #.

well went to brew hobby the other day and walked out with everything for a belgian blonde ale,many kits to choose from but my buddy i brought ended up snagging the kit i would have liked a belgian tripel so rich hooked me up with all the ingrediants i would need for my beer.what a great place to shop and a great person to just pick his brain about brewing.

Back