Brewing in a blizzard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IamSauce4

Reaction score
I was brewing at my parents place the day after Christmas. I didn't have a wort chiller or all that much ice. Fortunately, mother nature offered an alternative.

1835-beeinsnow.jpg

I'm sure this is nothing knew for you Minnesotan brewers, but playing in the snow with our boiling wort was a blast! I didn't include the adorable scenes of us skating with the wort on the lake or our playful snowball fight with the wort.

Here's the cold break on our Biere De Garde.
1836-beerinsnow2.jpg

I was .8 lbs short on the Belgian Pilsner malt, so I had to substitute with a little more crystal and biscuit. I think that's why it came out WAY darker then I was hoping for.

Anyone else spend their blizzard brewing?

Hell yeah, it was the only thing good to come out of this blizzard for me. NYC is currently a disaster with no end in sight...

I filled a bucket with fresh snow and put it in my mash water. It ended up being about a gallon.

I then used a full bucket of snow to chill the water I use in my aquarium pump-driven chilling setup. It worked awesome!

Back