Brewing for yourself, or for others?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nudarkshadowl

Reaction score
When I started brewing I kind of entered the hobby on a whim. I started with a deluxe homebrew kit from Northern brewer and I haven't looked back. 4 or 5 years later, and I have my dream all-grain system, a beer room/bar in a spare room of the house, and a very supportive swmbo. My question is, who do YOU brew for? I often find myself brewing or formulating recipes that are requests of friends or family, and i'm ok with that because I still get to build the recipe, etc. However, I can't remember the last time that I brewed a beer that only I wanted to try and brew. More often than not, there is some influence from somewhere or someone. Do you brew for the masses, or do you brew for yourself; and do you think that there are any pros or cons to each brewing method/style?

There are certain beers that I brew for people. Every year I brew a big honkin Russian Imperial Stout that my friends love. Same with my Baltic Porter. I'll probably have 3-4 pints of each of those 5 gallon batches. I keep them around for when friends come over and it's like a special treat for them. My wife loves big IIPA's so I make a couple batches of those a year for her. Her sister loves Dark Lagers, so I developed a recipe for her and make a batch when she's going to be around.

I'm more of a 'session' beer drinker myself, so that's what I make the most of. It seems to dissappear quicker, too for some reason :D

I would say both. I make some beers like Saisons that no one else likes except me, but I also make beers I know my wife will like. I do notice that I will often make the beer I know she will like before the one I really want.

It's a combination for me. SWMBO and I have similar taste, so thats easy. I also like to include my friends that do not like the bigger/hoppier beers. I brew specifically for them also.
I have a friend that likes a certain PA. I brew 10 gallons of that and give him 1/2. He has his own kegerator/corny and will often provide me with a gift certificate for the LHBS.
I simply like to brew, so if someone will drink it, I'll brew it!

I've done some fruit beers for friends/relatives, and I make a Vanilla Porter for my wife, but the rest of my beers (90+%) are beers I want to brew, for myself, either because I like the style, or I'm brewing them for competition (and like the style).

I brew for myself. I will share (when my pipeline is full) but they get what I have brewed. I have had only a few comments that friends did not care for a certain style. Others loved the same beer. I have not offered to brew for someone for their own use.

I like most beer. I also crave variety. I'll usually switch it up throughout the evening. This means that when I have people over I have a selection on tap, and usually some bottles kicking around. If they can't find something they like that I have in stock, that's their problem.

Only time that I intentionally brewed for others was for a company Christmas party. I planned in advance and made my first batch of Cent blonde, as it's well advertised as being a crowd pleaser that isn't "too wacky" for most BMC drinkers. Should be noted that I didn't brew it exclusively for them, and it had been on my list of things to brew for a while. It was just a little added inspiration for when to brew it.

I brew for me mainly because I like brewing, I like beer and the beer I like to drink is unusual or impossible to find in the price range I am will to pay.

My favorite house been is a bastardized low alcohol American Brown Ale'ish that is only about 4 % alcohol. My other two favorites are low alcohol beers as well but since I REALLY like flavorful beer, dislike a lot of "Session IPA's" I am limited in choice in the US.

Friends like one of those three house beers and a honey wheat lawnmower beer that I make is always a crowd-pleasers for the non-hopheads.

This should sum it: Since I like the flavor of Special B so much I use it in (almost) everything even when it not even close to style appropriate.

I brew for myself mostly. But most people like the same stuff i do so it works out. if they don't like it then they can go buy their own. When i brew for others it tends to be stuff like ciders, or pumpkin ales for thanksgiving, things like that.

Back