Brewing first Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windhover

Reaction score
Hi everyone...I am new to brewing and new to this forum. Anybody have this experience: I am brewing a coopers Pilsner using a lager yeast and it took over a week before there was ANY activity of any sort. I think it may have been too warm because I began to notice some bubble-action as soon as I began to cool the beer..and even more when I moved it into my unheated cellar. Is this a common problem for a pilsner?

What temp did you pitch? What temp was it sitting @ for the week? Did you pitch a starter? Did you agitate well? was it a dry yeast or liquid?

It kind of hovered in the 60 - 65 area. I didn't use a starter (don't really know what that is) and I pitched a dry lager yeast. I stirred it around quite a bit before I pitched. Basically, I did the same method as my previous other batches, which all turned out well. I think this one is fine just started out really s l o w

They will do that from time to time if there isn't enough oxygen in the mix. But 60-65 deg will also cause for a slower start. Do a search for starters you'll want to know what thats all about, maybe not for dry yeast but when you get into liquid you probably will. With dry lager yeast I might be incline to pitch 2 packs. I dont use the stuff, but if I did thats what I would do (I think) anyway
Cheers
JJ

The dry yeast that is included with the Coopers Pilsener is a lager yeast. It is a good one as well.

Latest posts

Back