brewing extract big beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBmadtown

Reaction score
I have 6-8 batches under my belt and feel that I have my process going well. Currently, I do partial boils.

I would love to step up and do a big beer (IIPA, RIS, BW). However, I do have concerns about trying to do this with the partial boil extract method.

- have other people had success doing big beers with partial boils?

When I did extract brewing years ago I was able to brew some bigger beers doing partial boils. I found them more difficult to do because for me, the potential for a boilover grew.

I did Northern Brewers Imperial Stout Extract kit. OG 1.086. 6 lbs. of extract goes in at the beginning and 6 lbs. late addition. No problems in my 5 gallon pot, and that beer was delicious.

Your only real concern with doing a big beer is quantity and health of your yeast. Everything else is no problem.

I am doing all extract myself (IIPA, RIS, Belgian strong ale) and have done several batches of 1.080 plus OG. did partial boil (c. 3 gallons) with all. biggest difference was during fermentation (changed from airlock to blow-off tube). also used a yeast starter instead of just the smack-pack

Latest posts

Back