Brewing during football games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyVee

Reaction score
So yesterday I was all set up to do my brew. I guess while I was letting my grain rest and watching football I had a few too many beers. By the time I started brewing and adding the hops I messed up the order. Anyone who watched the end of the Green Bay-New York game can understand how my attention wasn't 100% on the brew.

Anyway, my brew should have looked like this:
8lbs 2-row
1lb Vienna
.75lb Carmel 20
1 oz Centennial 60 min 4.7 AA
1 oz Centennial 15 min 4.7AA
1 oz Amarillo Gold 1min 10.3AA

Instead the hops went like this:
1 oz Amarillo Gold 60 min 10.3AA
1 oz Centennial 15 min 4.7AA
1 oz Centennial 1 min 4.7AA

I have used Centennial quite a few times but I have never used Amarillo Gold. I was really looking forward to it but now that I messed it up I don't really know what to expect. Does anyone add Amarillo Gold at 60 minutes? Beersmith says my IBU's will be around 40 or 41 and the recipe called for it at 37 (if I recall correctly) so that means it will be a little on the bitter side, right? I'm thinking I may try the brew again, this time without the distractions, and compare the two.

Lesson learned- don't brew during football games :mug:

I too have made the mistake of "one too many" while brewing. I've never messed up the recipe, but it usually leads to the equipment not getting cleaned for a few days. Something about a good buzz that makes a guy not care if stuff gets picked up and cleaned. At least it's in the garage and the wife can't complain about it.

I was also watching the end of that NYG vs GB game, but lucky for me I was just bottling and not brewing! :D Let's just say that the wife was not happy to see the kitchen floor afterwards when she had just scrubbed it earlier in the day.

I think your beer is going to turn out just fine. I've seen many recipes with Amarillo used as the bittering hop. I know it is used for both bittering and flavor/aroma, so you should be all good! But definitely make another batch in the order you meant to and you should be able to get a great idea of the hop difference then for future brews.

Back