Brewing Centennial blonde recipe and have an AG questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windsors

Reaction score
I am going to brew Biermuncher's Centennial blonde Ale as 5 gallon AG tomorrow using a new electric herms system I just put together and I need a little advice.

I entered this into Beersmith (my first try) and selected "Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body" as my mash profile. I thought it was closest to what Herms does. Beersmith says to start by mashing in with water at 161.4 and then do a 60 minute mash at 150 ('ll be recirculating through the Herms coil at 150). It then says raise the mash temp to 168 over the next 10 minutes and then sparge for another 10 minutes with 168 sparge water. (I'll probably just sparge until I have my boil volume and the wort starts to lose color)

Does this sound good ?

Thanks

Bill

Sounds good except that I would sparge for quite a bit longer. Not familiar with a "Herms" system though. Can you provide a link to what that is? You've got me curious now.

Lifted from another poster - HERMS - Recirculating mash system that uses indirect heat applied to the recirculation path to control the temperature of the mash. This includes immersing the path in a dedicated vessel of temp controlled hot water, in the HLT, or by running through any other kind of heat exchanger.

Basically I have a copper coil in my HLT that I continuously recirculate the wort through to maintain mash temps. It enters the MT at the top of the grain bed, filters through the bed and then exits below a screen in the bottom of the MT and back through the coil via a pump.

Many AG brewers are doing the same thing which is where I got the idea.

Latest posts

Back