brewing/carboy schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchomebrew

Reaction score
does anyone use the one, two, three week schedule for their homebrews?
one week (or until gravity has dropped), two weeks in secondary for dry hopping and clarifying, and three weeks conditioning in bottles?
i tried one of my last brew that i bottled two days ago, and wow was it flat. does the conditioning help to carbonate it over time that much? i was going to try one every week, to see for myself how the taste changes during conditioning. btw, i did use priming sugar.

Typically I follow the 1-2-3 schedule. If you just bottled two days ago, you wont necessarily have alot of carbonation. I typically sample a beer at the one and two week points. You will notice a difference at each point, and even beyond three weeks.

1-2-3 is a good off-hand rule of thumb, but it's by no means an absolute. Some beers (hefeweizens, for example) can be bottled sooner than 2 weeks after primary. Others (high-grav, barleywines, lagers, etc.) benefit from many weeks or months aging in secondary.

But 99% of the time, 2 days isn't enough to get bubbles. You have to wait for bottle fermentation to take place and the resultant CO2 to be absorbed back into the beer. Unless it's a weird batch, I can usually count on some kind of carbonation after 5 or 7 days. But it's still "green"-tasting until 2 or 3 weeks in bottle.

I do 2-4 weeks in primary, then bottle.

I'll use a secondary only if I need to bulk age or I need a primary before I'm ready to bottle.

My secondaries are useful for Apfelwein and hard cider.

1-2-3 is a decent rough guideline.

so is '1 week in the bottle for carbonation to occur'...so a 2 day old bottled beer SHOULD be flat.

Evan! said:
1-2-3 is a good off-hand rule of thumb, but it's by no means an absolute. Some beers (hefeweizens, for example) can be bottled sooner than 2 weeks after primary. Others (high-grav, barleywines, lagers, etc.) benefit from many weeks or months aging in secondary.

But 99% of the time, 2 days isn't enough to get bubbles. You have to wait for bottle fermentation to take place and the resultant CO2 to be absorbed back into the beer. Unless it's a weird batch, I can usually count on some kind of carbonation after 5 or 7 days. But it's still "green"-tasting until 2 or 3 weeks in bottle.

How long did you secondary the Meph?

Latest posts

Back