Brewing Calculations-Math!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Shai Octro

I just started interning at a brewery and the units used there are degrees plato, centigrade, kilograms and liters. And every book I read discusses the recipe in Spec. gravity, Fahrenheit, pounds and gallons.

Can anyone please help me with the formulations or any web links or books discussing degrees plato, centigrade, kilograms and liters..

Thanks in advnce.

Quick & dirty conversions:

Plato is just gravity units changed by a factor of 4. So 15 Plato is about 15x4=60 GU or 1.060.

Kilograms are heavier than pounds by a factor of 2.2. So 20 kg = 44 lb. Or just multiply by 2 then round up a little extra. Or going the other way from pounds to kilos, cut in half and round down a little extra.

Liters are just almost the same as quarts. Not much difference there. A little less than 4 liters per gallon, because liters are just slightly bigger than quarts.

For C to F conversions, you need to keep in mind that they are different by a factor of 5/9 or 9/5, depending which way you go, but there's the extra 32 F = 0 C thing that you have to add or subtract also. So...

Switching from C to F, divide by 5, multiply by 9, then add 32.

From F to C, you need to subtract the 32 first, then divide by 9 then multiply by 5. Difficult to do in your head, but not too hard on a calculator.

As another swag, each degree C is almost 2 degrees F. So going from 65 C to 66 C, that's a change from 149 F to 151 F. Each degree C is worth 2 degrees F, approximately. Or 9/5 to be exact.

Maybe this helps, maybe not, but it's documentation of the way my own brain thinks, so maybe it will help out somebody who thinks in a manner similar to the way I do.

Cheers all.

For plato to specific gravity, you can get respectfully close by the following:

1+(Plato x 4)/1000 = SG

Back