Brewing Bohemian Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirek

Reaction score
I am a beginner. My lagering capabilities are:

Garage fridge - as high as 48F
House - average 65F

Any suggestions to keep things simple and achieve brewing the lager successfully? Thanks for help!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

1) Buy an external temperature controller. Fridge built in thermostats are not accurate. A simple external temperature controller with a probe that can be duct taped to the side of your fermentation vessel or put in a thermowell would be excellent.

2) Use noble hops strains with higher beta to alpha acid ratios. Suggestions: Hallertau, Tettnanger, Saaz, Willamette. Bohemian pilsners have a higher bittering level than other pilsners so don't be afraid to use the hops wisely.

3) Use soft water. Reverse osmosis or distilled with 1/2 teaspoon of calcium chloride dihydrate per 5 gallons. If using an all grain recipe, use 3% acidulated malt (sourmalz). Be sure to also use 1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient and 1 teaspoon of yeast energizer per 5 gallons at 10 left in the boil.

4) Mash low and long. For a nice crisp, dry flavor, use a single infusion mash at 145f for 2 hours and then raise the temp to 155f for 30 mins. Sparge at 165f. This will help keep down the proteins in the beer.

Great points by aiptasia.

Definitely a temp controller. The temps on fridges typically swing wildly. A temp controller gives you consistent temps and better control. An STC-1000 temp controller build isn't too difficult, or expensive, and will serve you well for all future beers.

Also, make sure you plan your yeast starter accordingly as lagers require huge pitches of yeast. I usually need two steps with my stir plate and 2L flask, plus a day or two to crash the starter so I can decant the spent wort.

Thanks. What temps do I need to maintain during primary and secondary fermentation?

Thanks. What temps do I need to maintain during primary and secondary fermentation?

Fermentation temp can vary by yeast strain, but I tend to ferment my lagers at 50F with a 1 degree variation. I don't bother with a secondary, but I do lager in the primary at 32F.

Depends on the yeast...typically in the 50-55 range then raise for a D-rest towards the end of fermentation

Pitch at 45, begin fermenting at 48-50, when it gets 75-80% of the way from OG to expected FG, bring it up to 64 until finished.

I cold crash the primary a week then rack to a keg for lagering. If you're not kegging, do the lagering in a carboy/BB then bottle and carb.

Use lots of yeast. Pitch rates for lagers are TWICE that of ales. That means big starters or multiple packs of rehydrated dry yeast. Also, if using liquid yeast, oxygenate the heck out of the wort.

Back