Brewing behind the Zion Curtain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muthafuggle

Reaction score
Hello from darkest Utah,

I just joined the forum and I just put my second batch in the plastic fermenter (Kolsch for SWMBO). My first try was a Raspberry Wheat (again, for SWMBO -I want her to like the new and potentially expensive hobby before I start investing in lagering freezers and Keezers). My Ras Wheat has been in the bottles for about 2 weeks. I tasted it and it has a strong soapy taste. I know my sanitation was smack-on (but the Star-San I used for batch #2 is MUCH better than C-Brite I used in batch one.) I'm hoping that time will help this? I thought lighter beers were supposed to be ready fast?

I am WAY hooked. In the four weeks I've been doing this I've read two books, taken a class and read about a thousand threads lurking around here.

Next purchases, in order (PLEASE feel free to comment):

wort chiller
glass carboys (adding another primary and the ability to do a secondary)
7-8 Gallon brew pot (I have a 5 now)

These will probably take a few months, especially that pot (holy crap those things go for a LOT of money)

I'm pumped to have a new and potentially obsessive hobby!

Welcome, always nice to have another Utahn on here. I'm guessing the class you took was at The Beer Nut and you had to pay for it, yeah? FYI, go to Arts Brewing downtown and he'll teach ya everything you need to know for free. It's a hole in the wall but Art knows his stuff and taught most of the brewers over at Uinta Brewing. Oh and join our group here on HBT http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Utah_Brewers

Back