Brewing Beer From Malted Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
đź‘Ť

I love the new oat malt from Grouse. It adds so much body to the beer, the flavor is great and the hulls help with lautering. It performs much better than flaked oats imo.

Do oat malts have natural enzymes that can survive at the gelatinization temp? If I did the math correctly, they are getting about 29ppg.
Yes and yes. Oat Malt does have enzymes and yields exactly about 29 ppg (husked malt, that is to say, and dehusked naked oats yield in the low 30s).

When experimenting on my Kuitbiers, I made an All-Oat ale once: 82% Oat Malt, 5% Golden Naked Oats, 5% Toasted Instant Oats. Also, 8% of Sugar, to compensate for the Oat's low yield and to thin out the glucans. The malt succesfully converted the 10% non-ezymatic part with no enzymes added.
The beer turned out, how to say it politely, an unusual one. Nothing bad, perfectly drinkable, just very unusual tasting. Very perfumey (that's probably what they call berry-like flavours in the article). I found that Belgian (Chateau) and English (Crisp) Oat malts have wastly different levels of this perfumey twang, Belgian being higher up to the excess.
I won''t rebrew it again but it's been an interesting experiment and an enriching experience.

Last edited:
My calculations, according to data produced by maltsters, is that malted oats yield 32.6 ppg and naked oats yield 34.2 ppg. Of course, those numbers have to be multiplied by your brew house efficiency and wort volume to align with the OG. The difference between the yields is certainly due to the hulls present in the malted oats which are great for lautering but don't produce any extract.

Back