Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer and Managing Beer Gut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always had a compulsion of needing something to drink since i was a child. At one point in time my mom thought i had a condition but turned out it was just a compulsion. Any way since i've feel in love with beer I seem to do what a lot of you do the common thing around here. Couple beers at night and 6-12 on the weekend. In the last 1½ years i've actually lost 30lbs. I'm 5'7" i went from 185 to 155 while consuming more bee but if you look at my diet i only eat about 1200 calories a day. I'd rather have a beer then food to be honest. It just works for me. Everyones different just find something that works for you. You might not find it right away but just find the balance to keep you where you want to be.

Disclaimer:
I’m one of those guys who enjoys spending all day dragging my sweaty butt up and down the hills through the woods. A genetic freak, no. Just a freak!

Ohhhh, you're one of those runner peoples. I don't understand that. No matter how much I run, no matter how well I do, I still hate running. I really, really despise it. I still do it, but I hate every moment of it.

Good on you for being able to do it, though.

Ohhhh, you're one of those runner peoples. I don't understand that. No matter how much I run, no matter how well I do, I still hate running. I really, really despise it. I still do it, but I hate every moment of it.

Good on you for being able to do it, though.

dude there is this invention called wheels. ride a bike I think bikes were invented because running is so dreadful. ;)

This is total BS. After you take individual metabolism into account, it’s calories in / calories out. It all comes down to choices. A good craft brew is 200-300 calories. If you put in an extra 2-3 miles you’ll break even. If you cheat, your waistline will grow. It’s not a matter of being a genetic freak. It all about self control and compromise. I choose to put in the extra miles and have the beer.

And if you enjoy the extra miles, you get to have your cake (beer) and eat (drink) it too.

You didn't read his whole post.:drunk:

He was making the point that you have to choose between having the 10% body fat or the beer, NOT that you can't be in shape and drink beer. Its a big difference.

I am also a runner/triathlete (with one Ironman under my belt) and the only time I approach/go under 10% body fat point is when I'm in peak condition for racing. Its unrealistic to maintain 10% body fat without some serious work/dieting. You can still be fit/healthy at close to 20% body fat (which is where I usually sit in the off-season)

You didn't read his whole post.
Well sir, you are wrong. I read the entire post and think it’s BS. Might be that I read between the lines too much, but I think the below 10% BF number was directed to the OP and in reference to his individual goal. He goes on to say:
If you can be comfortable with a little extra weight on your belt, then it is OK to keep drinking like you are. It's all about which is more important to you, your appearance or your beer.
Below 10% is a bit obsessive, but I contend that you can stay well below 20% body fat and not have any “extra” weight and also not have any issues with compromising your “appearance.” All without giving up your weekday beer consumption. It’s all about math and lifestyle. If you drink a 300 calorie beer, you have to be willing to burn off those calories with an extra 300 calories of exercise. Lifestyle come into play in that you need to find a way to do it that you enjoy.

I won’t bore this group with details, but I’ve found that, unlike you, when my training is at its peak, I can (and do) put down even more beer both during the week and on weekends than I normally would. You are among the obsessive who think that abstinence will give you that “edge.” I’ve learned that for me the “live hard, play hard” approach is a lot more fun and gets the same results.

and, hey, nice zombie thread . . . .

Oh son of a gun, I just got caught necroposting... I guess God has to kill another kitten.

Man I have to watch the dates on this stuff....

SWMBO and I came to an agreement recently, that if I work out 3 times a week, I get $8 for beer that week. 4 times, $10. 5 times, $12. So far, it's working out pretty well. Unfortunately, I have a large stock of beers at home, so I really don't need to buy beer every week.

This makes absolutely no sense at all.

lol, it's a good thing but a bad thing at the same time. It doesn't motivate me to exercise because I already have beer to drink at home. The goal was to get into the habit of exercising regularly.

lol, it's a good thing but a bad thing at the same time. It doesn't motivate me to exercise because I already have beer to drink at home. The goal was to get into the habit of exercising regularly.

use the money to buy ingredients to brew more beer.

Um, 1 300 calroie beer a night would be considered moderation and you shouldn't be gaining any weight, now have 3 or 4 and good luck maintaining with the "live hard, play hard" approach unless of course your doing a 1/2 marathon extra per week. It's not just calories in/calories out it does depend on what kind of calories your putting in and how your body handles them.

i'm 23 5'11 about 175-180 pounds. I power lift 3 days a week and depending on my training i'll run hills a day a week. I started on the craft beer and home brewing about 10 months ago thus making craft beer/home brew a daily part of my diet. I have 0-3 during the week but usually have at least one and probably around 6 on weekends. I haven't noticed too much of a difference in my body. I think some people need to just lighten up, life is to short to worry about the amount of normal calorie beer we drink. If you want a beer drink it because i'm pretty sure when your on your death bed you won't be thinking "damn I wish i drank less beer". Plus for most people its life style not beer that leaves them with un wanted results, lay off the fast food, eat more real food and drink more water.

I definitely have noticed a difference. 5'10" 165lbs. I'm pretty skinny, and have put on a good 10lbs from the beerfairy since I started homebrewing. I'm pretty sure my job (which has me on the road 3-4 days a week) doesn't help either. I've joined a gym and cut back on the weekday beers. I miss them... =(

Um, 1 300 calroie beer a night would be considered moderation and you shouldn't be gaining any weight.
I agree, but many of these guys a saying no beer on week days. Personally, I probably average about two a night on week nights. Might be a little more.
now have 3 or 4 and good luck maintaining with the "live hard, play hard" approach.
The "live hard, play hard" was way too dramatic. Can I take it back? :eek:

It's not just calories in/calories out it does depend on what kind of calories your putting in and how your body handles them.
Sure it is. It's just like brewing. Once you know your system you adjust things like liquor temps and grain weight to get what you want from your efficiency. Once you know your body's efficiency, it's simple math.

IT hast to be possible.. I mean I don't think everyone back in the 1600's + were Lard asses :p

I Can't speak. I'm a chunk-a-lunk... All 5'9" 235 Lbs.... I'm stout but I need to shed the excess fat.

My Name is Josh, and I love beer. (This thread kinda has a support group vibe to it)

I am 6'3" 240lbs (down from 350 almost 2 years ago) and I on average 2 a night, and maybe 3 to 4 on the weekends. Even with the amount of boozing, I am still managing to drop weight. Of course part of that is because I have excess fat reserves to get rid of still. I just make sure I drink a lot of water throughout the day, keep my meals simple and healthy, and exercise regularly. I run 20+ miles a week, weight train 3 days a week, and do various cardio activities (Soccer, Basketball, Cycling, swimming).
For me it is not all about appearance, it is more about being healthy, and feeling like I am in shape.

This is total BS. After you take individual metabolism into account, it’s calories in / calories out. It all comes down to choices. A good craft brew is 200-300 calories. If you put in an extra 2-3 miles you’ll break even. If you cheat, your waistline will grow. It’s not a matter of being a genetic freak. It all about self control and compromise. I choose to put in the extra miles and have the beer.

And if you enjoy the extra miles, you get to have your cake (beer) and eat (drink) it too.

Disclaimer:
I’m one of those guys who enjoys spending all day dragging my sweaty butt up and down the hills through the woods. A genetic freak, no. Just a freak!

You'd think eh? I run 30-70 miles a week. Thats a lot of calories! A few years ago I was 15 lbs lighter. My eating habits have not changed significantly. Nor my drinking habits... I read somewhere that if you wanted to stay at a constant weight you needed to up your running miles by something like 5% a year after 35.

It is a losing battle IMHO. I'm 49.

PS - my next event http://www.hinsonlake24hour.com/

I read somewhere that if you wanted to stay at a constant weight you needed to up your running miles by something like 5% a year after 35 . . . It is a losing battle IMHO.
57 here. I feel your pain. If it makes you feel any better, after I hit 50 it seemed to level off. At this point I stay between 5-15 lbs over my younger years (depending on mileage.)

It's good to see another ultra guy on here. I swithched from shorter road stuff to ultras over 10 years ago. For what it's worth, I think that a little extra weight in an ultra is not a bad thing. At some point having some extra fuel to fall back on can be the difference between completing the run and a DNF. The elite guys are in a different class, but for most of us the pace is more in the fat burning range.

:off:
You’ve peaked my interest. What are your goals for Hinson? I’ve only done one 24hr, 2008 Virginia 24 Hour. Enjoyed it and have been looking at Hinson for another crack at a time based event. What other ultras have you done?

57 here. I feel your pain. If it makes you feel any better, after I hit 50 it seemed to level off. At this point I stay between 5-15 lbs over my younger years (depending on mileage.)

It's good to see another ultra guy on here. I swithched from shorter road stuff to ultras over 10 years ago. For what it's worth, I think that a little extra weight in an ultra is not a bad thing. At some point having some extra fuel to fall back on can be the difference between completing the run and a DNF. The elite guys are in a different class, but for most of us the pace is more in the fat burning range.

You’ve peaked my interest. What are your goals for Hinson? I’ve only done one 24hr, 2008 Virginia 24 Hour. Enjoyed it and have been looking at Hinson for another crack at a time based event. What other ultras have you done?

You ultra guys need to preface your remarks when giving out nutrition advice to the rest of us!:)

Yeah, if you are in the biz of ultra training then you can be drinking beer every night of the week....cause you are going out and running 30-40 miles every weekend! haha.

I definitely have noticed a difference. 5'10" 165lbs. I'm pretty skinny, and have put on a good 10lbs from the beerfairy since I started homebrewing. I'm pretty sure my job (which has me on the road 3-4 days a week) doesn't help either. I've joined a gym and cut back on the weekday beers. I miss them... =(

My advice (since you didn't ask:ban:). Quit the gym. Its a time suck....driving there/back, changing, waiting for equipment, shooting the breeze with your buddies, oggling the ladies, watching the TV...etc., etc., All of that wasted time could be put to better use by running/biking directly from your house.

People like us (full time jobs, family, whatever) have very little time to exercise...you really have to make efficient use of that time. The problem with the gym is that its got too much down-time built into it. My 0.02

People like us (full time jobs, family, whatever) have very little time to exercise...you really have to make efficient use of that time. The problem with the gym is that its got too much down-time built into it. My 0.02

Squat rack = $200 and craig's list a set of free weights hell I got two complete 300 pound sets for free. The amount of exercises you can do with a rack and barbell are almost infinite. Pop that puppy in your garage and spending 45 mins 3 days a week in there changes everything.

Just ration yourself. Also, I'd be willing to take one for the team and drink your beer if you send it to me.

Um, 1 300 calroie beer a night would be considered moderation and you shouldn't be gaining any weight, now have 3 or 4 and good luck maintaining with the "live hard, play hard" approach unless of course your doing a 1/2 marathon extra per week. It's not just calories in/calories out it does depend on what kind of calories your putting in and how your body handles them.

I will disagree, it IS about calories in vs calories out, as long as you know your bmr, and how many calories you burn during exercise for your age/weight/sex, and are aware of what you eat/drink, you will be fine. Routinely I will exercise, eat moderately, just so I can have beers that night. Of course, my job routinely weighs me and takes bodyfat calculations, so I have to watch what I eat.

Im running 4 miles after my workout in about an hour so I can have 6 beers tonight.

You just have to eat right and balance everything out with exercise. :mug:

You ultra guys need to preface your remarks when giving out nutrition advice to the rest of us!:)
You're probably right. I love the long weekend runs and I believe they have a positive effect on your metabolism. When your body knows it’s going to be well fueled and that it’s going to need lots of muscle glycogen it’s less likely to turn food into fat. It’s the opposite of when dieters go too low on calories. At that point their body turns everything to fat because it doesn’t know when the next meal will be coming.

I didn't read the thread, but the best advice I have comes from Louis C.K. (comedian)...the key to having a body that you like is to like having a ****ty body. Problem solved!

Check out Eat Stop Eat and see if that might help you out.

Basically, you fast for 24 hours which cuts out a days worth of calories. Not as difficult as you might think. I start fasting after eating supper with my family, then eat nothing until supper the next night. Drink as much water as you want/need throughout the day. I fast once or twice a week.

YMMV.

And no, that's not an affiliate link, just passing on some info that might be useful.

This is NOT a good idea.
Fasting for any amount of time puts your body into 'survival' mode. If you aren't getting calories in, your body will take any calories it starts to get after that fast and try to rapidly convert them into fat for the sake of storage.

It's much better to -limit- calorie intake, not eliminate it altogether for a period of time. Portion control, not starving yourself.

I'm training to finish 100 so that's my goal, I won't stop till I hit 85, I'm likely to get somewhere around 75 though! This year Iron Horse 100 (DNF at 77,) a couple of local training 50Ks before, I did a 100 miler in Scotland called the Heart of Scotland that wore me down to a stubby nub in May- 38 hours for that one. Hinson Lake and JFK are my last couple this year. I'm looking forward to trying some local brews after!!

This year Iron Horse 100 (DNF at 77,) a couple of local training 50Ks before, I did a 100 miler in Scotland called the Heart of Scotland . . . Hinson Lake and JFK are my last couple this year.
Have to wonder if we've ever met somewhere. It's not that big of a community. You're not a VHTRC, are you?

Have to wonder if we've ever met somewhere. It's not that big of a community. You're not a VHTRC, are you?

We might have but even though I am local to VHTRC I am not a member. I'm a bit of a loner and train by myself. Hey run Hinson Lake & we can share beers in a couple of weeks! The entry is $26 or something, no limit and you can register the morning of...!

Steve

I will disagree, it IS about calories in vs calories out, as long as you know your bmr, and how many calories you burn during exercise for your age/weight/sex, and are aware of what you eat/drink, you will be fine. Routinely I will exercise, eat moderately, just so I can have beers that night. Of course, my job routinely weighs me and takes bodyfat calculations, so I have to watch what I eat.

Im running 4 miles after my workout in about an hour so I can have 6 beers tonight.

You just have to eat right and balance everything out with exercise. :mug:

Ditto to this, I just got back from my run, paying for today's "beer tax" as I like to call it. :mug:

In the end it is calories in vs. calories out, the grim truth (unlike what some disciples of Gary Taubes et. al. would have you think). It sucks, but ya just have to find a balance, and cut back some days to make up for it or do more activity. Obviously shades of gray there regarding "what" you eat but it boils down to that.

I also saw fasting mentioned; there isn't an immediate switch to "survival mode" where your body starts cannibalizing itself in the time of 2:59.99 from your last meal. 'Intermittent fasting' as one form as its called in the BB circle may have something to it; it is also possible to successfully use a very low calorie diet and lose more than the standard "2 lbs per week" (protein sparing fast) without an extreme decrease in lean tissue. (check out Lyle McDonald / Martin Berkhan for info on that stuff if interested).

All that being said, cheers! :mug:

You know it is just not that simple. I ran 30 miles Wednesday and 20 miles yesterday and presumably my caloric intake vs outtake (!) is negative... in the extreme. But my weight is not diminishing at all. There is more than to this than simple arithmetic. When you are <30 perhaps but after that... well you are forewarned!

Steve da sleeve

Back