Brewing again...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_BullDog_

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I was only out for about 6 months from moving.... Started my last batch in March of April and bottled in May but that was longer than I had hoped.

The other night after getting a 3gal carboy (prior only used 1gal) I hastily began brewing. I had decide to do a red ale using 2 gal of an ale recipe I like and 1 gal of Apple cider... Well after starting the grains steeping I realized I only had 1.5 lbs dme so found some brown sugar to supplement.. May go well with the Apple juice anyways.

So here is what I ended with.

Steeped 3.6 oz 60L and 1.8 oz roasted barley
2lb dme
0.56lb light brown sugar
0.7 goldings for 45 min
0.25 cascades for 5min (left over from a kit awhile back)

Cooled then mixed with the AJ. Fermentation started well and went strong for 2 days before calming down last night. Plan to leave alone for a month then bottle for another month and have ready for Halloween and maybe Thanksgiving if any is still left.

Cheers 🍻

I did somethign liek that once. Made 4gal of a brown ale and blended it with 1gal of storebought organic cider and a few sliced apples. Didnt turn out as I'd hoped...

Hopefully the red ale will blend better with the AJ... I could see a brown ale having to much of the roasted coffee flavors to create a good balance....

I'll report back in a couple months but either I need yogi get more supplies to make a few more batches for the fall.

Back