Brewing a lager, mash questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WDT

Reaction score
I am brewing my second lager in a few weeks and wanted to prepare. I want to brew a lager with:

7.5lbs 6-row
0.5lbs Carapils
1lb Flaked Maize

My setup allows me to do single infusion and then batch sparge. The recipe calls for a multi-step mash (20'@122F, 60'@150F, 10'@170F). Can I do a single infusion on this? Or does 6row + the maize really require a multistep?

Also, a general brewing question. When batch sparging is the idea to bring it up to 170F and hold it for a period of time? Or should I just bring it up to temp and start draining the mashtun. I've been holding it for about 10-15min normally.

You could probably do 4x that amount of corn and still convert.

Single infusion would work.

170 doesn't do anything for batch sparge as far as I know.

You could step mash in the kettle if you really wanted to I imagine.

You could probably do 4x that amount of corn and still convert.

Single infusion would work.

170 doesn't do anything for batch sparge as far as I know.

You could step mash in the kettle if you really wanted to I imagine.

Cool, that's what I was worried about with the flaked corn.

What if I used 2row? Do you think that would help convert the corn?

Also, a general brewing question. When batch sparging is the idea to bring it up to 170F and hold it for a period of time? Or should I just bring it up to temp and start draining the mashtun. I've been holding it for about 10-15min normally.

Bringing it up to 170 is done to lock everything in as it kills all the enzymatic activity in the mash. So once your entire mash is at 170 you can sparge knowing you've locked it in.

That said, for 25+ years until I went electric, I would heat my sparge water to 180 and then sparge. As soon as I got an inch or two of water over the grain bed I started letting my wort out slowly. I never had a problem with my beers and I used that method while winning several best of shows and placing on many others.

I think it is better to bring it all up to 170 then sparge, it is just difficult to do without the right equipment. Now I just bring it up to 170 and hold for 10 minutes then start sparging. But you will have good beers either way.

If you have mashed for an hour or more most of your starches should have converted anyway.

I batch sparge, and yes, I am a believer that holding the mash at 170 prior to sparging ups your efficiency numbers. I have sparged with and without the 170 degree mashout, and when I hold the mash at 170 for 20 minutes prior to sparging, my efficiency goes up.

Thanks for the replies.

I have no way to directly heat the mashtun (igloo seat top 10g). I just add a measured amount of 190* water to bring the grain up to temp from mash temps. It usually equalizes somewhere around 170-175F. I've noticed when I sparge twice I get a few more points of efficiency.

Back