Brewing 4 beers before the end of the year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
I'm feeling a bit inspired and I have empty fermenters.

I'm brewing 5 gallon batches of the following:

Black IPA - Going to top crop this one (White labs Chico 001)

Noche Buena Barleywine - I'm brewing this to be able to open it next year on Christmas Eve. I'm using a bit of the top cropped yeast along with a giant starter.

Belgian Style Oatmeal Chocolate stout - I'm planning to Secondary it with chocolate.

With some runnings from the barelywine I plan to brew something like a session beer with pac man yeast I harvested.

This is my first time doing a barleywine so tips are welcomed!

I think my '10 barleywine is just rounding into peak form. The best tips I can give are to have plenty of pils DME on hand and to bulk age it for at least a couple months before package. Add dry hops, if desired, a week before package. And brew 10g so you've got plenty to age for years to come.

plenty of pils DME ?

plan to bulk age it for 3-4 months

I also plan to add honey to the fermentation like I saw on Brew tv

I gotta make sure to plan this because the holidays can be busy and all. Figured I get the malt bill ready. Al my hops are in the freezer.

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

Gotta run out and get 5lbs of base malt for the Stout and I'm good.

Tomorrow I'll start the starter for the Black IPA, then Brew that on Sat Early morning. Fri I'll get starter going for the Barleywine. Sunday and Monday early morning I'll top crop the yeast from the BIPA I'm going to use for the barelywine that I'm brewing Monday.
Brew the Barelywine along with the other beer using the extra runnings and the brewing is over for 2011. I can see a whole bunch of stuff going wrong but I will prevail.

Excited!

Back