Improv Brew Day Creation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewyheel

Reaction score
This past Saturday I unexpectedly found myself home alone after the wife and kids went out of town to visit a friend. I had the afternoon to myself and the inspiration to brew struck. I decided to go a 3 gallon stove top batch to save on time. I basically had no idea for a recipe going in since I wasn't planning to brew so I went to basement to see what I had and make something up on the spot. I quickly discovered I had no barley base malt, but I did have some Mecca Grade Vienna style rye malt and some bohemian wheat, so here's what I ended up doing.

2.25 lbs Rimrock rye
2.25 lbs Bohemian wheat
.5 lbs Opal 44

Mash at 153 for 60 minutes

8 grams Norther Brewer 8.5% FWH
10 grams Saaz 3.5% @ 10 minutes
22 IBU per Tinseth
8.5 SRM

2 grams gypsum
3 grams CaCl

Yeast nutrient
Whirfloc

34/70 harvested from a previous brew

OG 1.046

Fermenting now at 60 degrees

I do full volume BIAB so I didn't have to worry about a stuck sparge, which was great because when I was squeezing the bag the wort was incredibly viscous.
I've never made a beer that was majority rye or wheat so I'm not entirely sure how this is going to turn out but I was hoping someone who has would be able to comment.

Back