Brewer's yeast at farmers market

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kswim612

Reaction score
I was at the farmer's market and came across a stand with organic grains and such. They also had a package called "brewer's yeast." Th nice little Amish lady running it couldn't tell me anything about it so I'm asking you guys. Ever use anything like this? If it's what it looks like it just looks like bulk us-05. At $5 a lb it would be a great deal, I just don't know what it is exactly. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm assuming its the same as "nutritional yeast". My wife likes to sprinkle that stuff on popcorn.. ugh. Basically yeast is highly nutritional, and it is sold as a natural health supplement. I believe it is all killed off before packaging, or obviously loses it potency quickly being bulk packaged and kept at room temp. I would not brew with it. Ever. I prefer my nutritional yeast in liquid form... by the pint!

Why spend money and time on a brew you are looking forward to enjoying and serving to your friends and then gamble with the least expensive ingredient?

Back