Brewers sugar vs Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlail

Reaction score
As a newbie I am reading everything. My wife purchased a couple beer making kits and I started reviewing everything. The kits contain malted extract (Can) and a packet of yeast. The small instructions also state that we need bakers sugar. No sugar came with the kit so I assume this is a normal catch 22. Both kits require the sugar.

We like honey lager beers and our favorite is no longer made. I was thinking that maybe we could substitute the bakers sugar with honey. Is there any formula for converting sugar to honey?

As a fyi, I am making a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks

As a newbie I am reading everything. My wife purchased a couple beer making kits and I started reviewing everything. The kits contain malted extract (Can) and a packet of yeast. The small instructions also state that we need bakers sugar. No sugar came with the kit so I assume this is a normal catch 22. Both kits require the sugar.

We like honey lager beers and our favorite is no longer made. I was thinking that maybe we could substitute the bakers sugar with honey. Is there any formula for converting sugar to honey?

As a fyi, I am making a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks

They are 1 to 1. Honey is fully fermentable, like sugar. Whatever the recipe calls for, just replace it with the same amount of honey. Don't expect much of a honey taste though. I'd try steeping some honey malt to get that flavor and just use sugar for the boost in alcohol.

It dries it out more than makes it smooth. On top of drying it out, it'll att a sweet, floral note to the beer depending on the amount you use. If you use ALOT of honey, you'll get more of a honey flavor. However, if you don't want to worry about off flavors or aromas, stick with just Honey malt.

I can see that others find this tread interesting. I am not sure if a dryer taste is good or bad. It will take us some time to drink 5 gallons worth of beer. I end up not remembering all the subtle differences between them unless I have some to compare...

New hobbies are so much fun. Now I need to look up the steeping process and high krausen.

Back