Brewer's ProTip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah... I did that when I first got my keggle, filling it from the mash tun, then my floor was covered with stout! Thus was born my Oatmeal Floor Stout. I contemplated soaking up the lost wort and squeezing it back in.. but didn't do that.

Mom always said, look both ways before you rack from one to the other.

I've got the habit of always checking the floor after I begin.

Another thing, make sure the hose in you autosiphon is not pointed up in your bottling bucket when you start pumping sanitizer through it, unless you enjoy a crotchfull of sanitiser.

Make sure your 1 gallon jugs are marked well. I had a 1 gallon batch of Starsan and a 1 gallon batch of Cyser on my counter and guess which one I tried sanitizing with!!!!!!!! Luckily that was left over from making too much and extracting some from sweetening the 5 gallon batch so it didnt hurt too much.

I thought everyone has poured wort/beer into a container without shutting the valve at least once? It's damn near a rite of passage.

I dumped out a good 0.75 gal of first runnings from my BK second time I used it.

Another thing, make sure the hose in you autosiphon is not pointed up in your bottling bucket when you start pumping sanitizer through it, unless you enjoy a crotchfull of sanitiser.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Starsan keeps my junk minty fresh! :rockin:

well, it depends. If you were in Mexico the previous weekend, this may not be a bad thing. :D

everything okay Rev? Seems like you haven't been around much lately.

I almost hit the dog with sanitizer. Scared the bejeezus out of her.

And check the valve on your mash tun. I left mine to fill while I went in to help with the baby, came out, and had 6 gallons of 170 degree water run through my grain, out my garage and down the street :(

Poured 12lbs of grains and 5 gallons of water into the mash tun, got the valve closed but realized I forgot to grind them. :drunk:

Do I!

When you make a starter, let the water cool down from boiling before tossing in a big clump of DME. Not just take it off the heat for a second; wait. Although a liter of volcano water coming out of my 5L flask was a cool sight.

1. Shut the valve on the Conical before pouring the wort.

2. Turn off the water before the kettle is full.

3. Remember the Stir Bar before dumping the starter.

4. Remember to turn off the Oxygen bottle after you are done putting Oxygen in the wort.

I am sure that I can come up with more if I think about it.

TD

Back