Brewer's Friend Water Calculator question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pernox

Reaction score
-edit- Found the updated calculator here and answered my own question, I think.

Quick question - I'm dipping my feet into water adjustments, thought I had everything figured out, then read a little more carefully..

Using the Brewer's Friend water tool with valued calculated by Kaiser's Water Calculator Spreadsheet from GH and KH figures gleaned from a home test kit.

Water volume is all the water going into the mash, including losses and boil off. It is not the batch size or boil size. If you plan to have extra water left behind in your HLT, count that as well. The idea is to get the input water for the batch to match the same conditions as the target profile (eg, as if you were using water from the river Trent).

I'm doughing in with 3g, will be sparging with 5g. Should I calculate based on 3g or 8g, and should the total volume of salts be split into mash and sparge water, or all go into the mash?

I'm shooting for a BOT water profile to make a nice hoppy Pale.

Latest posts

Back