Brewers Droop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LayMeister

Reaction score
I came across an Article on Gruit, while researching some old recipes, that discussed the effects of Hops on Males:

"Contemporary scientific research has conclusively demonstrated that hops contains large quantities of estrogenic and soporific compounds. In fact hops has been used for many thousands of years in traditional medical practice as a natural estrogen replacement therapy and to help insomniacs sleep. The high level of plant estrogens in hops makes hopped beer an extremely good drink for women in menopause but also makes it a very bad drink for men. Consumption by men of large levels of estrogenic compounds can lead to erection problems later in life. In fact, there is a well-known condition in England called Brewer's Droop which is regularly contracted by bartenders and brewers after years of exposure to hopped beers and ales."

From Fall of Gruit

I see there was some discussion a few years ago (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=45439) but thought it might get more interest/attention in this Forum.

P

Bah! Hops are a soporific, sure. It's called dimethylvinyl carbanol or something.

Any erectile effects are so minimal as to be nonexistent. The impotence rumours were started by English brewers 16th Century to defend their market share against Dutch merchants selling hopped beers.

Bunch of pseudoscience bullcrap. Brewer's droop is slang for alcohol-induced impotence aka whiskey dick. Who knows where they got this phytoestrogen emasculation concept from. There's more phytoestrogen in a soy latte from starbucks than there is in 10 gallons of beer.

I love Dave Attell's whiskey dick bit. "sometimes you wake up in the morning and say, 'my god, I ****ed her?' to which she replies in a pissed off voice- 'no, someone had issues.'

Thank you whiskey dick

Dave Attell used to call blacking out from drinking, Time Travelling, a know you are at a party drinking, having fun, then Boom you wake up in your front yard the next day. That's time travel.

Thank god I know about this now. I was beginning to run out of things to worry about.:ban::drunk:

Back