brewer's best kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QsnotPs

Reaction score
I'm somewhat confused on steps 10 and 11....when lagering
Am I to leave the beer in the primary for 10-14 days, then in the secondary for an additional 3-4 weeks? meaning 5-6 weeks total. I am lagering and i know it takes a while, but I just want to make sure before i leave it too long.

F.Y.I. I'm keeping the temp at 50-55 degrees right now.

To lager literally means to wait, so yes, you are going to have your beer sitting at a low temp (compared to ale) for a long time

I guess to clarify I should repeat what it says.
10. Primary
The wort will begin to ferment within 48 hours and you will notice CO2 releasing (bubbling) out of the airlock. The included lager yeast will ferment out in 10-14 days within the indicated temperature range. When the airlock indicates bubbling has completely stopped and the gravity remains the same for two full days the beer has reached its Final Gravity (FG).

Step 10 to me says the beer is done....completely, but here is step 11.

11. Secondary/Lagering
Trasfer the beer to a clean sanitized 5-gallon carboy. Lower the temperature 1 degree to 3 degrees per day until it reaches 35 - 42 degrees. lager within this temperature range 3-4 weeks. After at least 2 weeks take a FG reading with a sanitized hydrometer and record it in your ABV% CALCULATOR.

I think they screwed up, I think it is step 10 OR step !! depending on what temperature you want your lagering to be at......

any thoughts.

Lagering is a conditioning process, which you're doing after the beer has reached its final gravity. The beer might be done fermenting after step 10, but it isn't done.

My advice would be to follow step 11.

Between those 2 steps you want to bring it up for 2-3 days to about 70 for a d-rest. This will stop it from getting a buttery mouth feel.

If you look at instructions on most kits it gives you the minimum amount of time to let your beer sit. I have not fooled around with lagers personally but with all my ales, the longer it ages the better. And extra week or three will not kill it and youre going to wind up with a better product, I am assuming this would be the same for lagering

For lagering those first two stages are pretty firm, you only want it going so far then d rest, then lager. You can lager long as you want, that will only adf crispness.

Back