Brewers Best IPA kit - dry hopping???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lincolnhawk33

Reaction score
Hi! Im a complete noob and this is my very first batch. I love hoppy/fruity IPAs and figured id go with this kit so I dont horribly mess it up. I followed the directions to a T but they didnt include anything about dry hopping so I am at a loss. The hops used in the recipe were as follows

1.5 oz. Cascade @ 60 min
1 oz. Cascade @ 30 min
1 oz. Amarillo @ 15 min

My beer is in the primary currently and I will move to a secondary after 6-7 days where I will do the dry hopping.

I have read that I cant go wrong with adding more cascade but just wanted some guidance as to if this is a good choice (is it too much cascade?), how much should I even dry hop, and how many days should it be in the secondary before I bottle?

I would greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks!

So I'm a noob as well, so take my advice carefully. I just did my first batch and what I did was the following...
1. Primary for 10 days
2. Transfer to secondary with dry hops
3. Let dry hop for 5 days
4. Bottled

What I've decided to do on future IPA brews is dry hop in the primary, per the advice from most people on this forum. I figured as this was my first batch, I'd follow the recipe because my logic was they wouldn't steer me wrong, right? From everything I've read, secondary on an IPA isn't necessary.

As far as how long to leave in the primary, really depends on fermentation. I took a hyrdrometer reading at day 9 and moved it on day 10. I'd say take a hydrometer reading at 10 days-ish in the primary and see where you're at. If you're at your target FG reading, you're good to go.

A good target I was given was to have my IPA bottled by the 14-21 day mark, which I did. I would think that would be a good target for you as well.

As far as dry hopping with cascade, there's nothing wrong with that at all. Mine was dry hopped with 1oz each of Simcoe and Cascade. I'm a hop head so next time I would up that personally. I would maybe try 3oz next time. Again, I'm a newb so careful with what I tell you, haha.

Also, everything I've read said dry hop as long as you want. I've also read some conflicting info saying that if you dry hop too long, you'll get grassy flavors. The target I've read about is 5-7 days for dry hopping but I'll let one of the experts here give you a better time frame on that.

Good luck with the first brew! Post some updates as you go. From one noob to another, I'd like to hear how it goes for you.

Assuming a ~5 gallon batch, you could use anywhere from 2-4oz oz of hops for 3-7 days. I dry hop for 4 or 5 days typically but no longer. Cascade should work well. Good luck and enjoy your first home brew!

Thank you for the quick response!!! Sorry yes it is a 5 gallon batch. I know i just started but i definitely have the brewing 'bug'. Cant wait to see how this turns out!

Latest posts

Back