Breweries to Visit in the Midwest/South

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeptrey

Reaction score
I live in OKC, gonna get some time off and head out and check out some breweries around the area. Possibly head to Kansas City check out Boulevards operations, but other than that what other breweries in the Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and possibly Texas are there that you can tour? In OKC right now its pretty bad after the last round of tornadoes and some of the breweries expanding and building out. So pretty much none around here right now and in Oklahoma you can't sample beers yet until the new bill is signed in November... I don't know of any other breweries other than Marshall in Tulsa and Choc in Krebs. Thinking about saying eff it and going to Denver for a week. Thoughts, suggestions?

I'm very fond of tallgrass brewery in Kansas. Manhattan Kansas I think. I'm not sure if they do tours but they make some great beers.

The Dallas-Fort Worth area is rich in small breweries. Peticolas (Dallas) will, if I understand correctly, allow you to work a shift. Also in the Dallas area, check Community, Deep Ellum, Firewheel, Four Corners, and Lakewood. Martin House and Rahr in Fort Worth. Armadillo in Denton, 903 in Sherman, and Revolver in Granbury.

The Dallas-Fort Worth area is rich in small breweries. Peticolas (Dallas) will, if I understand correctly, allow you to work a shift. Also in the Dallas area, check Community, Deep Ellum, Firewheel, Four Corners, and Lakewood. Martin House and Rahr in Fort Worth. Armadillo in Denton, 903 in Sherman, and Revolver in Granbury.

Seconded. Plenty of breweries in DFW. Most of today's tours start at noon, but Martin House's tour starts at 2. It's a good one. Just went last week.

Mordhaus said:
Seconded. Plenty of breweries in DFW. Most of today's tours start at noon, but Martin House's tour starts at 2. It's a good one. Just went last week.

I see Rahr and Deep Ellum and Four Corners tours are during the week. What do you think of their brew? I hear Rahr and Sons is a German style brewery would be cool to see. That style of brew is my favorite.

I see Rahr and Deep Ellum and Four Corners tours are during the week. What do you think of their brew? I hear Rahr and Sons is a German style brewery would be cool to see. That style of brew is my favorite.

I haven't had anything from Four Corners yet, so I can't comment there. Rahr is good and it's worth checking out. Fritz is kind of like the Jim Koch of DFW. I haven't been during the week, but Saturday's are usually nuts. I haven't been to a Deep Ellum tour, but I've had their IPA and Stout. The IPA is good and it's in my rotation of beers I keep in the beer fridge, the stout is ok. I plan to check out their tour soon, but I hear Saturday's there are also nuts. As far as my taste, I think the best beers DFW has to offer right now are coming out of Lakewood, Martin House and Revolver.

Rahr has tours on Weds 5-7p and Sat 1-3p. You get three samples plus a pint glass. Weds they always have one specialty beer, usually a small batch. Getting there at 5:00 is challenging because I-35W is a parking lot in the afternoon. Plan ahead.

River City Brewery 150 N Mosley Wichita, KS 67202
(316) 263-2739

Wichita Brewing Co.
8815 W 13th St Suite 100
Wichita, KS 67212
Telephone: (316) 440-2885
http://wichitabrew.com/

Might as well stop in on your way to KC

Rahr Blonde Lager is a quality warm weather Munich Helles. Easy drinking and smooth. Their Gravel Road Altbier is malty and clean. The Ugly Pug Schwarzbier is very good, but the last two I drank had a chalky bitterness on finish.

Deep Ellum makes an Imperial rye stout, Darkest Hour, that is out of sight. They also make a barleywine, Numb Comfort, that is lovely.

I neglected to try anything from Four Corners during the month that I was in the metroplex.

I had Revolver's Blood and Honey sweet witbier several times, and it might have been my favorite DFW summer style beer. I also thought Lakewood's Temptress (Imperial milk stout) was outstanding, but found their Rock Ryder wheat/rye disappointing, in that I couldn't really taste the rye. Martin House's Daybreak breakfast beer was also a good, smooth, summer brew. Peticolas's Velvet Hammer was everything I wanted in an American interpretation of a Belgian strong ale. Community's Mosaic IPA was an eye-opener - I generally dislike IPAs, but theirs was one that I would order again.

I'm outside of Rahr and Sons now. Pumped to check out their operations. Brewery doesn't appear to be to big.

Tallgrass does have tours, just check their schedule on their website. If you really dont have any reason to NOT go to colorado id go there, really cant get that many breweries in a confined space anywhere else

If you head three hours east of Boulevard you could visit O'Fallon Brewery or Schafly, both in the St Louis area. O'Fallon only does tours on Saturday and you have to get on the list

Topeka has a brewery and good food, Lawrence has two breweries. You could always check them out on your way to KC or from KC...but check out boulevard in KC.

hamaien said:
I assume you've been to Coop in OKC? Probably one of my favorite breweries.

Love the whole idea of COOP I've called up there but since the storms in may and the sampling law just being passed they aren't doing tours until November.

I tried Rahr and Sons limited seasonals/specialty beers along with there year arounds. Their Unfiltered Oktoberfest was pretty damn good. Not as malty as traditional but very well balanced. They had a specialty brew called Bitters End that was an Oak Barrel aged IPA that was up there in IBUs I want to say 135. I can't remember but i think he said he only used Centennial hops. I'm not a hophead but it was actually a very nice brew.

Tours down here are packed and it is more or less a party than actually getting to see the process. Although I did get to visit and bug the crap out of the brewers there.

zeptrey said:
Love the whole idea of COOP I've called up there but since the storms in may and the sampling law just being passed they aren't doing tours until November.

I tried Rahr and Sons limited seasonals/specialty beers along with there year arounds. Their Unfiltered Oktoberfest was pretty damn good. Not as malty as traditional but very well balanced. They had a specialty brew called Bitters End that was an Oak Barrel aged IPA that was up there in IBUs I want to say 135. I can't remember but i think he said he only used Centennial hops. I'm not a hophead but it was actually a very nice brew.

Tours down here are packed and it is more or less a party than actually getting to see the process. Although I did get to visit and bug the crap out of the brewers there.

I think I remember he said he used EK Goldings for the bitters end. I should drink less before talking to the brewers next time....

The Anheuser Busch tour is St. Louis is worth doing. It's still a beautiful and historic brewery. Schlafly does a tour. Check their website for more info.

There are plenty of breweries in St. Louis worth visiting, even if they don't have a tour.

http://stlhops.com/st-louis-beer-guide/ is a good resource but a bit dated. Buffalo Brewing has closed. Alpha Brewing has opened since it was written.

Deep Ellum Brewery tonight was nice. It's the IPA brewery and I'm not a huge fan of crazy IPAs. However there Specialty IPA was dry hopped with lemon peel, meridian hops and maple syrup. That was actually pretty damn tasty. They have an awesome double brown stout and there rye pilsner is good. They first wort hop so there brews aren't overly bitter but still have a huge huge hop presence. The tour is kind of lame but again down here in Dallas most of the tours we've seen have been more or less parties. Live music, food trucks and a brief overview of there process. All in all still happy with the mini trip to dfw. Lots of breweries down here. More than I anticipated.

Back