Brewed a Imperial IPA with massive hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLW

Reaction score
Currently the beer has been in secondary for a couple of weeks (maybe 3) and is still fermenting slowly. Also, this recipe called for a lot of dry hops. The beer reallyt hasn't calrified much. I'm wondering if I need to transfer to another carboy or when I transfer to the botteling bucket I need to filter somehow? If I do need to filter are there any recommendations?

I would transfer to a teritary bucket/carboy and add gelatin. Get the bucket cold (if you can) for a few days and then rack to your bottling bucket. The gelatin/cold will help a lot of the suspended hops settle to the bottom and it will give you clearer beer.

as badge said, get it as cold as can be, 30-32 if possible and add some bloomed gelatin. I don't use a secondary or teritary and have crystal clear beers even with all the hops of IPA/IIPAs. The cold temp and gelatin do the work.

Also don't try to get every last ounce at the bottom when racking.

Since I'm kind of new to brewing let make sure I understand.

1. Get a teritary bucket/carboy and get it cold 30 to 32 degrees
2. Then rack the beer this bucket and add gelatin

How long should I wait before I bottle? The current gravity is approx 1.024 and should be around 1.018. This morning it was burping about once every 30 seconds so i figured it still has some fermentation to go?

bubbles are not a judge of fermentation. use your hydrometer. My guess is that it may have been moved too soon and is still fermenting give it another week or some and take another reading.

Back