Brewed a Chocolate Stout....needs more CHOCOLATE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZmannR2

Reaction score
So my chocolate stout turned out great but there's one problem....I don't taste any chocolate.....it's kegged so adding to it would be super easy. Whats the best way to achieve more flavor? chocolate extract or something?

The easiest way I can think of is cocoa to vodka addition.

start with 1 cup hersheys cocoa, and keep adding it to 1 cup vodka, until super thick, but still pourable.
add to taste.

It would be helpful to see your recipe. I've found that ratio of chocolate malts to crystal malts can have the biggest impact on chocolate flavor. If adjuncts are what you're after, cacao nibs give the purest chocolate flavor in my experience. I usually add them in secondary for a week or so. I don't see why you couldn't add them to the keg.

I would think that you could add nibs in a nylon sack and wait until the chocolate is where it should be, then pull them out. Start with 3 ounces. I've never done it, but I know you add them to the secondary normally, so adding it to the keg should be the same.

This late in the game, I'd go with a good extract...

41kUXdPgRCL.jpg

Cheers!

Easiest way would be to wait. Stouts don't hit their stride for some time and giving this one more time at room temp may make the difference. Second way would be adding cocoa. Third would be extract.

My chocolate stout was pretty good in 6 months, better in a year. YMMV

Back