Brewed a beer with rosemary more than once?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed a beer with rosemary more than once? I ask more than once because it implies you liked the result enough to do it a second (or more) time. I'm considering a rosemary stout--I think the rosemary may be too muted in a IPA application. I'd use the rosemary from the garden. Considering steeping at flameout and/or dry rosemarying.

"dry rosemarying"

Love it :mug:

Gotta ask though: have you tried infusing a single glass of stout (or IPA, for that matter) with some rosemary character to see if it's in the ballpark of what you're hoping for?

'Cause I gotta say, it sounds dreadful to me, and I love rosemary. On red meat...

Cheers!

ps: yes, there are a handful of "rosemary" threads on HBT

Good idea, I'll have to pick up a stout similar to something I would brew and then rosemary that. I love to chew on fresh rosemary while in the garden. It would kind of be like dry hopping with a very piney hop and would maybe add a little bitterness, which I think would play well with some malty, sweet, roasty flavors of stout.

Do it. Try a 1-2.5 gallon batch first. There is a whole world of brewing beer with no hops at all, but other herbs that have antiseptic (anti-bacterial/microbial? I'm no scientist) properties. It's a challenge because solid knowledge isn't out there these days. I have brewed a couple of ales with no hops (gruit), but other herbs in its place and have enjoyed the results. It's an experiment, but a worthwhile one.

I would actually suggest a light-ish ale, perhaps with just a bit of sweetness. Brew it, take good notes, brew again.

Back